Christopher Bouzy
A
No platform will ever implement a rule enforcing the "proper use" of a hashtag; it's impossible to implement for a myriad of reasons. What if someone wanted to use #SpoutingClassics to promote a classic car company, or something similar, then what?
Michael J Sheridan @MSheridan62
I can't say I agree with this stance, but if thems the rules, then I guess individual ostracizing it is.

Editing to clarify: I'm talking about taking the individual action Mr. Bouzy recommended. Your mileage may vary, and you're free to deal with the issue as you see fit.
02:53 PM - Dec 10, 2023
03:07 PM - Dec 10, 2023 (Edited)
Patricia Teter
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
Hashtags are incredibly useful to track emergency situations: severe weather, tornadoes, fires, earthquakes, shootings, dangerous situations, etc. Pre-Musk, T/X was highly effective in these situations, but sadly no longer as their hashtags have been hijacked.
10:48 AM - Dec 11, 2023
Patricia Teter
A
In response to Patricia Teter.
No one should be banned due to misuse of hashtags; however, they certainly defeat the purpose and usefulness of hashtags.
10:49 AM - Dec 11, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
Exactly. No one owns a hashtag. Easy to just ignore “misuse.”
07:42 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Lipsticktraces
B
03:42 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Andrew Senior
A
In response to Lipsticktraces.
That's some good stuff! Haven't had a pork pie in ages.
03:47 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Char
A
Even the mere logistics of trying to police that are untenable.

I dont think that would be sustainable or scalable with the platform's growth, even if they could have people trying to police it.

At the same time, I understand why people are upset and want a solution.
03:21 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Elektra 🖖
A
In response to Char.
Isn’t the solution to block the user though? That’s the first thing I did. If he was saying something that violated the TOS then I’d report him AND block him.
03:27 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Erik Siegrist
A
Then hopefully whoever's handling their social media is smart enough to pick a different tag...
03:18 PM - Dec 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}