Blue Dog Doug
A
And now for something completely different.
But a very #LaidBackTrack

Schubert Quintet in C, D 956 - 2. Adagio
live at the Zagreb International Chamber Music Festival 2008
#spoutingclassics #laidbacktracks @SpoutingClassics
ZAGREB KOM 3 • F. Schubert: Quintet in C, D 956 - 2. Adagio - YouTube

uncut version of this video here: https://youtu.be/VarQln8a3BwSchubert Quintet in C, D 956 - 2. Adagiolive at the Zagreb International Chamber Music Festival...

03:07 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Susan Winter
A
In response to Blue Dog Doug.
Thank you, thank you for sharing this video. If anyone wants to learn why this cello quintet is so brilliant, and to listen to the exquisite 1st movement, I recommend watching the following video:
https://youtu.be/1uK8Dr3mX...
Inside Chamber Music with Bruce Adolphe: Schubert's Cello Quintet in C major - YouTube

Bruce Adolphe, CMS resident lecturerFranz Schubert: Quintet in C major for Two Violins, Viola, and Two Cellos, D. 956, Op. 163 (1828)Filmed live in the Danie...

11:40 PM - Dec 10, 2023 (Edited)
Blue Dog Doug
A
In response to Susan Winter.
Thank you so much for this follow up.
My dad played piano and loved classical music.
He taught me cord and scale structure/theory which helped me play guitar. I also play 'ed' a little piano.

Pop is gone now and this info is something he surely would understand.

Again, thanks for the memories!
10:57 AM - Dec 11, 2023
Susan Winter
A
I'm glad you have such beautiful memories. Your post was very special to me because I'm working on this piece with my quintet - just for fun not for a performance. Thank you!
11:30 AM - Dec 11, 2023
Blue Dog Doug
A
Well well.
That's interesting.
What instrument do you play?
11:43 AM - Dec 11, 2023
Susan Winter
A
I play the viola 😊
08:29 PM - Dec 11, 2023
Blue Dog Doug
A
Interesting.
I've always wondered. How do you get the right note without frets? Do you have to get you fingers on the exact spot on your 'fret board'? Seems like it would be very hard to do without marks of any kind.

And thanks for the follow. Got you back. 😀
11:18 PM - Dec 11, 2023
Liz Adams
A
I learned violin as an adult beginner (not my first instrument) and had the same question! My teacher put bits of sticky tape on the finger board till my fingers learned the positions. She said when I came in each week with the tape worn away, she could tell I was serious about learning. Joy!
01:45 PM - Dec 12, 2023
Susan Winter
A
You're exactly right. Without frets, it's imperative to place your fingers precisely, and of course the placement changes by key and by the presence of accidentals. It takes years (of sounding horrible 😳) to develop the muscle memory to play well.
11:32 PM - Dec 11, 2023
Blue Dog Doug
A
Yeah I can only imagine the finger strength you would have to develop. Guitar is hard until you figure out that you want a low action (strings very low to the fret board) and that you need to relax your grip.
12:26 AM - Dec 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}