SoundNFury
A
thread 1/4
Things happen too fast in the digital age. #becauseimolddamnit

We're losing the "ritual" aspect of so many things...
03:03 PM - Dec 16, 2023
SoundNFury
A
thread 2/4
Renting a movie for the evening used to involve a copious amount of time wandering the aisles of Blockbuster trying to find a good movie - and one that had the movie behind the damn display box!
SoundNFury
A
thread 3/4
Buying music used to involve the ritual of going to the record store and browsing/listening to songs before maybe buying them.

There are pros and cons to everything. In the digital age, we have, in some respects, incredible convenience. Entire music libraries at the touch of a button.
SoundNFury
A
thread 4/4
Youtube is like a giant digital TV recorder, which can be visited for hours of nostalgia feels. Those are all really good aspects of technological change. But I think we need our rituals too. And we're losing those.
T. Naught
A
In response to SoundNFury.
i’m convinced this is a big part of the resurgence of vinyl records —
the ritual of playing a record restores a highly tactile mindfulness to the experience of music listening
03:18 PM - Dec 16, 2023
SoundNFury
A
In response to T. Naught.
True. And not to mention, there is a subculture of Blu-Ray/DVD collectors also.

Actually having something in your hands, with artwork, etc. - that you can play using only a device (no internet needed) is a great thing.
03:21 PM - Dec 16, 2023
SLS StickFigure
A
In response to SoundNFury.
Digital audio files are still not tangible to me. I know it's silly but if it's just a list of files on some app or whatnot to me it's just kinda lost among 1000s. If I can see it across the room, handle it, read it's cover, pop it into a player, IDK it feels more real/available, not forgotten.
03:18 PM - Dec 16, 2023
SoundNFury
A
In response to SLS StickFigure.
Absolutely. And these are things which I think become more apparent the longer we go without them.

At first, the convenience of digital overshadows the cons. But that doesn't last.

Also, the fact that with streaming, you really don't "own" anything - just a license to play the file.
03:19 PM - Dec 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}