Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 1/8
Why I’m less angry with people not masking.

A short thread.
07:41 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 2/8
Clear and consistent messaging can influence populations in a desired direction. This happened at the start of the pandemic, where people understood the importance of masking, and for a time, distancing/isolation.
07:42 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 3/8
The messaging over time, however, became much less clear, and the onus put on the individual (do to a variety of significant factors). This eroded the sense of shared responsibility. It played into a public fatigued by doing something mildly challenging.
07:43 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 4/8
We are tribal creatures. We wish to belong. And we are inherently lazy - not in a bad way - in an evolutionary energy saving way. We will go along with the easiest course of action, especially if others are doing it too.
07:43 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 5/8
If messaging and policy change to consistently say it’s okay not to mask, and if we don’t feel a shared responsibility, and we want to do what everyone else is doing, AND it’s easier… then that’s what we’ll do.
07:44 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 6/8
It doesn’t mean people don’t care, or lack compassion. It means that they’re people.
07:44 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 7/8
There are people much smarter than me who can go into better detail about the nuances and various perspectives on this. But in broad strokes this can be applied to how we don’t do many things like we *should*: masking, exercising, eating well, saving money…
07:45 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 8/8
I still mask in indoor public settings. I don’t like that few others do (and I even question frequently if I need to anymore *gasp* because I’m human). But I get why they don’t. And that helps me to be less angry and resentful. Which is good for me, and the people I love.
07:48 PM - Dec 20, 2023
eanybean
A
What irks me is people who deride those who still choose to mask.

It literally has no harmful impact on anyone.
In response to Mark Kubert, DC.
10:11 PM - Dec 20, 2023

Only followers of this user (Tokismom73) can see their posts

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}