Judith
A
I always wondered... If an atheist or non believer swears an oath on a bible, is that oath legitimate?
03:16 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Paul Holmes
A
In response to Judith.
As an atheist, I can't imagine why anyone would ever ask me to swear on a bible, or why I would agree to do so.

But if I did, you could trust to tell the truth precisely as much as you would trust anyone else.
07:01 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Pam Miller
A
In response to Judith.
We don’t swear, we affirm, because “swear an oath” has literal religious connection. Places where it has to be done finally came around to saying, “Do you swear or affirm….?” Took many years of fighting for it. They both carry same legal obligation and weight.
03:32 AM - Dec 21, 2023 (Edited)
Judith
A
In response to Pam Miller.
Isn't the use of a bible itself, religious? It appears thusfar, there does not seem to be any penalties for those lying under oath, be they supreme court judges or representatives who swear to uphold the constitution.
03:47 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Mynxie
A
In response to Judith.
Oaths don't need to be sworn on Bibles at all. Swear an oath on a comic book if that is what you hold dear and what binds your conscience.
03:22 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Judith
A
In response to Mynxie.
Thx for the information. I was wondering more about the legitimacy of the oath if sworn on by a non- believer be it a bible or comic book. :)
03:51 AM - Dec 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}