Judith
A
I always wondered... If an atheist or non believer swears an oath on a bible, is that oath legitimate?
03:16 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Pam Miller
A
In response to Judith.
We don’t swear, we affirm, because “swear an oath” has literal religious connection. Places where it has to be done finally came around to saying, “Do you swear or affirm….?” Took many years of fighting for it. They both carry same legal obligation and weight.
03:32 AM - Dec 21, 2023 (Edited)
Judith
A
Isn't the use of a bible itself, religious? It appears thusfar, there does not seem to be any penalties for those lying under oath, be they supreme court judges or representatives who swear to uphold the constitution.
In response to Pam Miller.
03:47 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Pam Miller
A
In response to Judith.
There sure used to be consequences for lying under oath or affirmation. Still can be when proved, but the justices (and others) sure get to squirm out of it by saying the case or circumstances were different and other such nonsense. Great lessons for the kids, eh?
04:09 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Judith
A
Sadly so. Fortunately I faith that each generation provides cream that rises to the top that once again provides hope.
04:18 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Pam Miller
A
In response to Judith.
Taking an oath doesn’t have to involve a bible.. Like in jury duty or witnessing things, etc. But even the word “oath” implies acknowledgment of a supreme being, thus the need for allowing affirmations Also, several presidents didn’t use bibles.
04:02 AM - Dec 21, 2023
Judith
A
Just have seen it used in so many affirmations that in my mind it became part of the process. Thank you for informing me of current and past alternatives.
04:14 AM - Dec 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}