Dr. Jarret Ruminski
A
Living in our Age of Selfishness is a constant reminder of humanity's wasted potential under capitalism. Any collective sense of altruism & compassion have been leached from our species by the punishing lure of profit, personal enrichment, & uninhibited avarice masquerading as "personal freedom."
09:36 AM - Dec 22, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to Dr. Jarret Ruminski.
Serious question: is this mostly a US and Western culture thing or more universal? Would Finns or Ghanians agree do you think?
09:46 AM - Dec 22, 2023
Dr. Jarret Ruminski
A
In response to Susan Simon.
I suspect lots of them would. Heck, Finland just gave more power to the right-wing elements in their government. It's not so much a western thing as it is a hyper-capitalism thing.
09:50 AM - Dec 22, 2023
Diane Hall
A
Is hypercapitalism similar to end-stage-capitalism? I keep getting the feeling we're experiencing both right now.
10:02 AM - Dec 22, 2023
Dr. Jarret Ruminski
A
In response to Diane Hall.
I classify them as the same thing. We're living in a slow-motion societal collapse.
10:03 AM - Dec 22, 2023
Diane Hall
A
Years ago, I read The Final Empire by Wm. H. Kotke and it has stuck with me ever since. It's the reason I took a permaclture course. We're experiencing environmental & financial collapse in parallel on a planetary scale that he predicted by looking at Bangladesh, etc.
10:13 AM - Dec 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}