Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 1/5
Finally finishing up all the material for my online natural dye class. Today I did iron shifts (very easy) and started my indigo banana vat.
03:35 PM - Dec 22, 2023
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 2/5
You use the fructose from the bananas as a reducing agent for the indigo. You mash and boil bananas in water, filter out the solids, add water and your indigo and a base (calcium hydroxide for me).
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 3/5
Then you wait. I have never tried this with banana fructose before but it is already reducing (you can tell by a color change); I am excited. Will probably do the dyeing tomorrow.
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 4/5
Unfortunately the cooking bananas smell has been replaced by the indigo smell (think dirty pond water).
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 5/5
Will post pictures of all the samples when I'm done. Still have to do a final wash maybe next weekend (they said to let it sit for awhile).
Diane Hall
A
Looking forward to your results. About 40 years ago, I learned to spin and did some dyeing as part of my explorations into all things wool and natural fibers. I only used synthetic dyes, but had lots of fun with the process and spun most of the yarn, some of which I still have.
In response to Sneaky Burrito.
04:57 PM - Dec 22, 2023
Sneaky Burrito
A
In response to Diane Hall.
My first love is honestly acid dyes for wool, I have a thing for fuchsia and hot pink. But I like all kinds of dyes and this class was a fun way to get started.

I spin too, am accumulating so much handspun yarn...have a room full of wool I need to process.
04:59 PM - Dec 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}