Margaret Layne
A
thread 1/2
#SpoutingClassics #AnythingGoes
"Dark, cold, and snowbound, Russia has the sort of climate in which the spirit of Christmas burns brightest. And that is why Tchaikovsky seems to have captured the sound of it better than anyone else. I tell you that not only will every European child of the twentieth
The Nutcracker - Christmas Tree Transformation (The Royal Ballet) - YouTube

Isabella Gasparini and Christopher Saunders perform the Transformation Scene in The Royal Ballet's magical production of The Nutcracker. Book now: https://ww...

01:56 PM - Dec 23, 2023
Margaret Layne
A
thread 2/2
century know the melodies of The Nutcracker, they will imagine their Christmas just as it is depicted in the ballet; and on the Christmas Eves of their dotage, Tchaikovsky’s tree will grow from the floor of their memories until they are gazing up in wonder once again.” -- Amor Towles
01:56 PM - Dec 23, 2023
Lipsticktraces
B
In response to Margaret Layne.
One of my first paying jobs, at 16, was sitting in a swing high above the dancers during the Nutcracker ballet. At the appropriate moment I would grab handfuls of fake snow and toss it down over the performers.
02:17 PM - Dec 23, 2023
Margaret Layne
A
In response to Lipsticktraces.
It takes a Christmas village! Not sure if it's this way now, but back in the day at NYCB young male dancers who'd outgrown the children's roles but weren't ready yet for the featured solos would be stashed underneath Clara's bed, to make it glide "magically" through the snow forest.
02:26 PM - Dec 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}