Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
thread 1/7
#Long -COVID

This is my story. I want to educate, and I'm not looking for sympathy. Nobody is listening to the CDC, so maybe someone will listen to my story and rethink. I hope so.

I got Delta a few days before my age group was eligible for the jab.
07:23 AM - Dec 24, 2023
A
thread 2/7
The acute part wasn't bad - stomach upset, fever, fatigue, and total loss of taste and smell.

Shortly after, I got clots in my leg and lungs and ended up in hospital and mega doses of heparin. That was a long recovery. I also developed hypothyroidism.

Several symptoms stayed with me.
A
thread 3/7
The fatigue was horrible. My cognitive issues caused me to forget to pay bills, appointments, and even family birthdays! Sometimes, I don't even know what month it is.

Over time, it has improved a little.
A
thread 4/7
I have decent times that can last a few weeks, tho I have to be very careful with scheduled breaks or my heart rate flies up to the 140+ range, and I will pass out.
A
thread 5/7
I also have flares where I have worsening memory, fatigue, low energy, loss of smell/taste, stomach upset, terrible nausea, more migraines, and zero appetite. During a flare, the memory test thing neuros do can score at stage 2 dementia.
A
thread 6/7
Since this has lasted so long and has a clear pattern, docs tell me I am unlikely to fully recover.

I had a full life with a good job. I was enrolled in a Masters program. I loved to cook and bake, and my house was clean.
A
thread 7/7
I'm very lucky to have a day a month where I can clean or cook, but never both on the same day.

So, please, please, get your jab and mask. Every bout of COVID can cause long-COVID. You don't want to be me.

Feel free to share, esp with those who are not keen on the vax at the very least.
Democracy!Equality! Equity!Compassion!
A
In response to Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker.
I’m so sorry you’ve been impacted so much! Don’t give up hope on improvement, though. This hasn’t been around long enough for anyone to figure out how to help, and our bodies are amazing self-healers for so many things. Do what you can and be gentle with yourself.❤️🙏🏻
10:06 AM - Dec 24, 2023
A
In response to Democracy!Equality! Equity!Compassion!.
I volunteered to proofread translated medical research so I could get first news on studies. Everything is theoretical, of course, but I'm keeping a close eye.
11:06 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
Thank you for sharing.
We need more personal stories so people can see how real this is and the outcome for so many people.

I wish you healing.
09:47 AM - Dec 24, 2023
T. Naught
A
thank you for sharing this!
the reality of long covid cannot just be swept under a convenient rug…
it’s real and it’s scary.
08:26 AM - Dec 24, 2023
A
In response to T. Naught.
People don't know, and I read a terrible story from someone on Reddit on how their family didn't believe them and how terrible that has to be. So I figured, get the word out.
08:28 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Cheri B
A
I'm sorry for your life altering experience. 🙏 Sending love & light.
08:23 AM - Dec 24, 2023
A
In response to Cheri B.
I look at it as just bad timing/bad luck. I'm getting used to it, and I can work around it to a point.
08:29 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Haruka (RELOCATED)
A
Thank you so much for sharing. @michiru and I are lucky not to have any naysayers in our personal lives, but there are so many out there that I wish would listen. ❤️ to you in your battle.
08:21 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
I’m saddened by all you’ve lost.

At the same time, I’m pleased by your ability to be honest and forthcoming about your experience.

I hope the beautiful light you bring us here each day is returned a thousandfold.

Love,
April 💛
08:15 AM - Dec 24, 2023
A
In response to April Sparkles.
It's really okay. I just don't think folks out there realize there are ppl who don't kick it in a few weeks or months. If that motivates somebody to toss on a mask or get their shot, I'll be happy.
08:30 AM - Dec 24, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}