Peyton
A
thread 1/6
Imposter Syndrome a life long challenge. In the 90s I failed as a Graphic designer. Ended up as production manager at a digital print shop for 12 years. Moved to a five sided building IT/CyberSecurity for 12 years as a contr. Every year thinking how is this former copy kid in charge of all this.
03:29 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Peyton
A
thread 2/6
Now for the past 4 years gone from CISO to a director and now a chief product officer (former chief after buyout) and not sure if I should be in a higher position or tossed back to the Cyber team. But every once in a while something comes along and I can ride that boost for weeks.
Peyton
A
thread 3/6
A NIAP meeting with IT industry giants (Cisco, HP, Aruba, Dell, and others) we were reviewing draft controls for a new certification family. And another important approving Agency chimed in
“Well as Peyton always says…” they quoted me from a meeting 3 month prior. Quoted Me!!?
Peyton
A
thread 4/6
I was thinking I can ride this mental Hype for months, ask for a raise…. Three weeks later I haven’t asked for a raise, not sure if I’m good enough at my job. I need to do better. All doing better does is increase work and timeline expectations. Aargh
Peyton
A
thread 5/6
Then as someone is leaving one of our projects, I get given a challenge coin and a thanks. They are only $6, but they mean a lot, specially to a contractor. And it has a cipher on the back, such a nice touch.
Peyton
A
thread 6/6
And just like that I’m awesome again!!!
At least for a few weeks.
Bea Bennett
A
I get it. The warm fuzzies that come from knowing you're the "go to" are amazing but they don't pay the bills. Someone once told me "a closed mouth doesn't get fed." Ask for the raise. The worst that can happen is they give you some BS line. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised. Good luck!
In response to Peyton.
03:53 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Peyton
A
In response to Bea Bennett.
Agree, always good to ask. But then there is the other voices…It’s hard right after a buyout when they are trying to get back their investment. Looking to cut staff, and those that made money from the sale are long gone.
03:56 PM - Dec 26, 2023
Bea Bennett
A
In response to Peyton.
Right after a buyout can also be a great time to ask. They're motivated to keep the talent that made the purchase so attractive in the first place. The worst talent drain comes in the first couple of months after a buyout due to a lack of confidence in the new management. They may want to show off!
04:16 PM - Dec 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}