Mr. Higgins Totally not an alien in a skin suit
A
Tax a religion, and that religion will expect to further dictate policy to get its moneys worth, bad enough that religious orgs already donate to political causes voluntarily as it is.
Andrew Senior @Avaxint
Why? Tax exemption implies acceptance by the state, so no separation. No tax exemption means the state is not involved.
11:47 PM - Dec 27, 2023
01:05 AM - Dec 28, 2023
Larry with an i
A
In response to Mr. Higgins Totally not an alien in a skin suit.
You just started your own tax-exempt religion, huh? 😅
01:26 AM - Dec 28, 2023
A
In response to Larry with an i.
I always kinda wanted to start a cult actually.
01:52 AM - Dec 28, 2023
Larry with an i
A
I knew it. 😂

Though if religions were taxed there was less incentive to start one. Fuck Joel Osteen all the way.
01:56 AM - Dec 28, 2023
A
The incentive is political power taxes or not. Kings have taxed religions before only to be bargained into subjugation to the religion.
02:08 AM - Dec 28, 2023
Larry with an i
A
Times have changed. Most people don't buy the pie in the sky anymore. The political power is being detached from religion.
02:12 AM - Dec 28, 2023
A
Every generation says “times have changed” but history tends to repeat itself. Kinda a paradox when you ponder it.
02:18 AM - Dec 28, 2023
Larry with an i
A
Yeah it's a slow creep because every generation, as they get old, they become more nostalgic about times when they thought they understood everything.

But in big picture, times change. Like, they figured God was dead already during The Enlightenment, but look how long it's taken to catch on.
03:36 AM - Dec 28, 2023
A
A worshipable deity one believes in may have died off but the question of its existence alone remains immutable. Essentially unanswerable, the question only it could answer, all else are conclusions each individual draws based upon that.
01:00 AM - Dec 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}