George Steffanos
A
thread 1/10
September 4, 1983: The AT bypassed the cliffs which towered over the pond, but there were several great viewpoints atop rock outcrops along that climb, overlooking an immense,
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #NewHampshire #nature #mountains #forest #AppalachianTrail #trails
08:34 AM - Dec 28, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/10
L-shaped valley encircled by the lofty, wooded heights of Mount Wolf, Mount Kinsman, and several of their spur ridges. The lower arm of the valley was a high plateau featuring Bog Pond — a long pond of irregular shape surrounded by an extensive marsh speckled with tiny pondlets (yes, my own word).
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/10
From that height, the marsh looked lovely, but also empty and barren save for a few small groves of conifers. The upper arm of the “L” was the long, wooded valley drained by Eliza Brook, sloping down to Bog Pond’s plateau from the base of Kinsman’s south peak.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/10
Some thoughtful power company had run a transmission line through the heart of Bog Pond, a long scar which detracted from, but did not kill, its beauty.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/10
By this time, it seemed I had been climbing forever, but I could now see the crest of Kinsman’s south ridge rising above the treetops ahead, and my ascent still had a way to go.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/10
I eventually reached the ridge crest on a small, flat, boggy section covered with stunted spruce. From that spot, I finally caught a glimpse of Kinsman’s south peak towering another several hundred feet above me. Make that a long way to go.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/10
The climb up the side of the peak was just as steep as the climb up to the ridge had been. It may even have been steeper — I don’t know; I was too busy inventing creative new profanities as I climbed to pay much attention. It was late — and getting later.
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/10
Ten minutes later, I broke out onto the summit area of South Kinsman, a short stretch of alpine ridge consisting of gray, lichen-covered granite rock, very low scrub spruce, and ground-hugging shrubs of the type which I had seen on Mount Moosilauke. The summit was marked by a large rock cairn.
George Steffanos
A
thread 9/10
There were 360-degree views: Franconia Ridge to the east, Moosilauke and Loon Mountain to the south, Kinsman’s north peak and Cannon Mountain to the north, and the valley and ridge country stretching out towards the Green Mountains along the western horizon.
George Steffanos
A
thread 10/10
Not far above that horizon was the rapidly-sinking orb of the sun — a pretty sight, but not too encouraging, considering the six miles I still needed to cover today.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}