Just Piper
A
I’m getting tired of social media. Just seems cliquish and popularity contests. My uncle tried to explain MySpace to me and from what he described, it sounded more fun than what we have now. Anyone here that used to be on MySpace? It sounds different but was it better?
05:48 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Elektra 🖖
A
In response to Just Piper.
It was pretty much like any sm site but with glitter. Like others said, you ranked your friends which was actually you choosing which friends to display. It became a popularity contest after a while. Weirdly enough, the Facebook design was like a breath of fresh air at the time.
06:13 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Just Piper
A
In response to Elektra 🖖.
Yeah, he said everyone fled MySpace for Facebook. The way he described it though, MySpace sounded more fun. I guess he had fun. Ha!
02:25 AM - Jan 01, 2024 (Edited)
Terminator LX
A
I LOVED MySpace! I liked how we had a big, customizable profile page plus a blog/journal, plus a feed like on here (if I recall correctly). I was more interested in modding out my page & writing journal entries—mostly about my batshit coworkers. It was humorous, so I gained quite the following.
06:05 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Terminator LX
A
In response to Terminator LX.
I hated FB because I felt like it was MySpace for dummies-folks who didn’t know basic HMTL or how to mod their profiles liked the inflexibility & uniformity of FB. And I didn’t like how FB forced you to not be anonymous. I’ve given up on anonymity on SM now, but back then it was important to me.
06:08 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Just Piper
A
In response to Terminator LX.
This is how he described it. Everyone designed their look, graphics and even music. It made each page unique. Made me wish either I’d been born earlier or we had something like that now.
02:28 AM - Jan 01, 2024
Hester Prynnecess, beat reporter
A
when I feel that way, I take a break

it’s not a duty, and if it isn’t a pleasure, why do it?
06:03 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Just Piper
A
In response to Hester Prynnecess, beat reporter.
Since I work from home, I used to spend lots more time online. Not so much anymore.
02:29 AM - Jan 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
I think some of that is just the nature of people. Online or offline we do tend to pack up based on interests/hobbie/politics/religion/ geography, for better or for worse. I don't know that any platform can fix that until we humans fix that behavior
06:02 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
MySpace was cliquish and a popularity contest. You rated your top users or friends and it was for the world to see.

Not saying MySpace wasn't any better than every other site, but it wasn't that different.
06:01 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Dean Cascarano
A
I don't think myspace/friendster were any better/different. I think society has gotten much worse
06:01 PM - Dec 31, 2023 (Edited)
Canuck Newf
A
Don't get to be on here much because of work so I'll never get popular or be in a clique. Just doing my own thing and interacting when I can. Love it here though. Best SM experience I've had to date.
05:56 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Canuck Newf
A
In response to Canuck Newf.
And when your spouts are liked by the Big Kahuna, it makes it worthwhile being here and knowing even the small fries are seen.
Spoutible frickin' rocks!
06:08 PM - Dec 31, 2023
k hola (she/her)
A
MySpace made you rank your top 8 friends so idk about that. I was a lay space user. Took a while for Facebook because you had to have a .edu email and I wasn’t about that life then.
05:55 PM - Dec 31, 2023 (Edited)
Annette & Vizsla Tucker
A
No. Twitter was my only SM until this. I was happy there until the monster came. It takes a long time to build a good SM experience. Hang in.
05:51 PM - Dec 31, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}