Myron Clifton
A
I wonder why evolution erases our memory for the first couple/few years of our lives.. like, what benefit is that?
05:29 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Christa Starr
A
In response to Myron Clifton.
From my understanding - humans are born more helpless than other mammals because our heads would be too big to emerge from our mothers if we were in there longer, so those early years are still somewhat gestational, just happening outside the womb. Maybe that's part of it?
01:17 PM - Mar 06, 2023
tiny knitter
A
For caregiver sanity. Little ones do retain things like vocabulary & eventually muscle memory. But I am thankful my toddler knows he's tall enough to reach things without my help, otherwise I'd be lifting him alllll the time. As is, I get asked, "Pick up" randomly.
10:10 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Puckarama
A
All my concussions erased a few more!

But I’d guess it’s so we don’t have nightmares about all those huge faces getting all up in our business with ridiculous baby talk!
06:08 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Myron Clifton
A
In response to Puckarama.
Lolo. Yep mine too
01:18 PM - Mar 06, 2023
Sarah Apfel
A
Because kids can't have booze to help them forget?
05:43 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Myron Clifton
A
In response to Sarah Apfel.
A winner! lololo
05:49 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Suzanne JaaaNONYA
A
Maybe it’s the universe’s gift to #Parents

Like they won’t remember when we were reeeeaaally fckin shit up when they were babies…

And their memories starting at 4-5 are vague enough that they remember them comically, hopefully 🙏🤞 #parenting

https://spoutible.com/thre...
05:38 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Eleanor
A
Until language skills are developed enough, there’s no way to consciously encode memory. But memories can be triggered via smells… but you’ll get a sense of familiarity rather than an articulate memory. IANABrainScientist
05:37 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Daisy Bellaqua Stark
A
Is it that, or just developing the schemata to hold the memories?
05:31 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Myron Clifton
A
In response to Daisy Bellaqua Stark.
That's a good point. It's just so odd to me - I know it is "working" managing the body and stuff.. and it has been active for a few months.. I just don't know why evolution says..

"Hey, you don't need to remember from this period. Be well!"
05:35 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Chrissy Dorsey
A
My son swears he remembers getting circumcised. Idk
05:31 PM - Mar 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}