Christopher Bouzy
A
That political party consists of millions of people and is a significant segment of the population, so yes America is broken. There are more Republican-led states than Democratic states, 27 to be exact. It's important not to pretend we came extremely close to a full collapse of our government.
Profit Greenly @ProfitGreenly
Is that America or just one of our political parties. Seems important to be specific.
05:44 AM - Jan 02, 2024
06:29 AM - Jan 02, 2024
John Manier
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
I agree. The USA is broken. It’s not *irretrievably* broken—yet. But it might get to that point if we don’t set about fixing all that’s broken, PDQ.
10:53 PM - Jan 02, 2024
Andrea Ball
A
Yes, millions of people who are disproportionately represented in the Senate. That gives their minority party outsized influence, along with the way the Electoral College counts votes.
07:06 PM - Jan 02, 2024
Lipsticktraces
B
We are still very close.
02:59 PM - Jan 02, 2024
Profit Greenly
A
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I just want people to realize that there is still a chance to hold off the authoritarians democratically. Some states are so R gerrymandered that it's very difficult to move them back to democracy, but it seems like it's slowly happening in WI, PA, etc.
10:08 AM - Jan 02, 2024
Caryl D
A
For decades the focus of the Republican Party has been local and state governments building a power base. Republican attention to judge elections has been a weak area for Democrats
06:38 AM - Jan 02, 2024
Geannie Bastian
A
In response to Caryl D.
Yes this!

It’s not necessarily that more people prefer Republican led government. All but one (the one following 9/11) Presidential Election of the last 30 years saw a Democrat win the popular vote.

It’s that the Democratic Party fails to focus on State/Local (and off year!) elections.
06:59 AM - Jan 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}