Christopher Bouzy
A
Young people growing up now don't know how much fun we had with analog technology. Party lines were so much fun.
Phred @Phred
Will it work with my party line?
01:51 PM - Jan 13, 2024
02:07 PM - Jan 13, 2024
SenorPena
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
OH the pre-wireless 30 foot chord handset…what an incredible invention! Why would it always spin in to itself & get tangled? 🤷🏽
03:50 PM - Jan 13, 2024
Daryl Knee
A
That feeling when slamming the handset down !
02:49 PM - Jan 13, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
We had a party line when I was a kid. The only one's on it were my grandparents and the neighbors across the street and they, and we, were all respectful. If we heard anyone on the line we put the phone down. Different rings were cool too.
02:44 PM - Jan 13, 2024
Deb
A
We had a party line 35 years ago when we first moved into our house. I was surprised there were still party lines. We had another family on our line with children who loved to play on the phone and frequently interrupted our calls.
02:31 PM - Jan 13, 2024
Cheryl
A
Party lines were not fun! The person we shared our line with was constantly on the phone (gossiping, of course). My family was so happy to get our own line, especially since my dad ran his business from home.
02:26 PM - Jan 13, 2024
CharleneEllen
A
We could randomly call phone numbers (without caller ID) and ask if their fridge was running. It wasn’t our fault the joke was old before we’d ever learned it.
02:21 PM - Jan 13, 2024
hal
A
Living in a house with a sister and parents who thought *nothing* of listening in on my calls had a weirdly perverse effect on me. I was/am absolutely loathe to snoop on others.
02:12 PM - Jan 13, 2024
shadeygreyskies
A
In response to hal.
Could also just have group chats with everyone who shared the party line.

Kind of like chatting with the neighbors over the fence.
02:17 PM - Jan 13, 2024
k hola (she/her)
A
BBS! Those were chat rooms
02:10 PM - Jan 13, 2024
Anthony Lee
A
Anyone remember dial-up modems? Yes, kids, we had to use the phone line to have slow Internet, and you can't use the phone at the same time. 🙂
02:10 PM - Jan 13, 2024
shadeygreyskies
A
In response to Anthony Lee.
Had a friend who could identify the various modems by their noises.
02:15 PM - Jan 13, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}