Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 1/4
This will make sense to a total of about 2 people on here.

Today I finally sat down to ply the milk protein fiber I spun earlier in the month. I usually use my e-spinner for plying because it has huge bobbins that will fit more than 4 oz of fiber on them.

So I sat down and plugged it in.
04:58 PM - Jan 13, 2024
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 2/4
Set up my lazy kate with bobbins from my treadle wheel. And started plying.

And this fiber was TROUBLESOME. It was fighting me. I just assumed it was the nature of milk protein fiber and that I would probably not make yarn from it again.

Then I stopped it to adjust the speed.
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 3/4
And realized the spin direction switch had inadvertently been switched from "S" to "Z." Dammit.

So I pulled all the overtwisty yarn off the bobbin and flipped the switch and re-plied in the S direction and it's a whole lot better now.
04:58 PM - Jan 13, 2024 (Edited)
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 4/4
First time in my 2+ years of spinning that I have ever made that mistake (I don't mess up direction on my treadle wheel...).

I still don't like milk protein fiber all that much, though.
Shockratees
A
Interesting idea - I guess it is a bit fibrous. What gave you the idea to try spinning it?
In response to Sneaky Burrito.
05:16 PM - Jan 13, 2024
Sneaky Burrito
A
In response to Shockratees.
Just want to try every kind of spinning fiber. Have also done a corn-based one, soy protein fiber, and other random stuff. The only ones I haven't had much luck with are cotton and cashmere because the fibers are so short.
08:14 PM - Jan 13, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}