Kylowna Moton
A
Do you have an account with ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org? What is your strongest motivation for working on a family tree and researching your family? #genealogyspoutible
04:15 AM - Jan 14, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Kylowna Moton.
I can't afford Ancestry since I retired but I still get messages pertaining to DNA results and have found cousins I've never met. I started genealogy when my Dad was alive and we went to the library together. When he died I was too sad to continue for awhile.
05:47 AM - Jan 14, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
BTW thanks for mentioning Family Search I wasn't aware of that one. I'll be checking it out.
05:49 AM - Jan 14, 2024
Kylowna Moton
A
In response to Bren.
I like Family Search, which I started with because it as free. They are also very helpful and will Zoom with you to help you navigate their site--also for free.

Sorry about your father. I can understand your feelings. I hope you will continue your research, though, in his honor. 💖
03:44 AM - Jan 15, 2024 (Edited)
Bren
A
Thank you. I have 1 regret I do wish I had asked Dad to do a DNA.
Ancestry makes me angry, they are so expensive and they didn't use to be. I heard from two cousins recently and one helped me break through into an ancestor that I'd hit a roadblock with. Getting past those is so exciting.
08:04 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
Also I didn't know this until I went to have headstones placed on my mother and grandmother's graves after years of wanting to. The local monument place knew a lot about history and had maps of cemeteries with family names. They are an excellent source for finding graves.
08:08 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
I'm talking too much here 😂 but they were also able to show me exactly where towns and communities were that are no longer there. A GGrand's grave had been moved when they flooded the dam. When I went to see where I was appalled to find how the graves had just been tossed in willy nilly.
08:24 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Kylowna Moton
A
I’m sure you were upset about the state of the graves. I am surprised by how I react (emotionally) to events of the past when I find out about them.
In response to Bren.
02:06 AM - Jan 16, 2024
Bren
A
It was unsettling after seeing most cemeteries well kept. This one had what appeared to be large sink holes all around and maybe a brick with the first letter of a last name to mark the grave or family plot. I made myself think of others who must be buried without markers at all over the place.
07:21 AM - Jan 16, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
Thank you for this conversation and the follow back. ❤️
07:24 AM - Jan 16, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}