Kylowna Moton
A
Do you have an account with ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org? What is your strongest motivation for working on a family tree and researching your family? #genealogyspoutible
04:15 AM - Jan 14, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Kylowna Moton.
I can't afford Ancestry since I retired but I still get messages pertaining to DNA results and have found cousins I've never met. I started genealogy when my Dad was alive and we went to the library together. When he died I was too sad to continue for awhile.
05:47 AM - Jan 14, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
BTW thanks for mentioning Family Search I wasn't aware of that one. I'll be checking it out.
05:49 AM - Jan 14, 2024
Kylowna Moton
A
In response to Bren.
I like Family Search, which I started with because it as free. They are also very helpful and will Zoom with you to help you navigate their site--also for free.

Sorry about your father. I can understand your feelings. I hope you will continue your research, though, in his honor. 💖
03:44 AM - Jan 15, 2024 (Edited)
Bren
A
Thank you. I have 1 regret I do wish I had asked Dad to do a DNA.
Ancestry makes me angry, they are so expensive and they didn't use to be. I heard from two cousins recently and one helped me break through into an ancestor that I'd hit a roadblock with. Getting past those is so exciting.
08:04 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
Also I didn't know this until I went to have headstones placed on my mother and grandmother's graves after years of wanting to. The local monument place knew a lot about history and had maps of cemeteries with family names. They are an excellent source for finding graves.
08:08 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
I'm talking too much here 😂 but they were also able to show me exactly where towns and communities were that are no longer there. A GGrand's grave had been moved when they flooded the dam. When I went to see where I was appalled to find how the graves had just been tossed in willy nilly.
08:24 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Kylowna Moton
A
In response to Bren.
Local monument place? I am looking into a lot of places and their historical information in order to find out about the places my ancestors lived in and left. I’d love to know about people who can help me understand communities that no longer exist
02:05 AM - Jan 16, 2024
Bren
A
Where one can buy headstones and have them placed. It may be that small town businesses have more info. I did get lucky there. I'm convinced if everyone really looked into their genealogy and let it all sink in we could defy the hate. It is a humbling experience. At least for me it has been.
07:14 AM - Jan 16, 2024
Kylowna Moton
A
I so agree with you here. I wrote an article about my early experience with making the family tree for a publication here in LA, and the responses I got showed me how similar family stories are across demographics. I think learning our history can bring us closer together.
In response to Bren.
03:09 PM - Jan 16, 2024
Bren
A
That's excellent proof with your article and wonderful that you wrote it. I wish everyone would get involved. Wouldn't it be great if we could all have the show Finding Your Roots help out? Sometimes we find a hero in our history and sometimes one we'd like to forget but there they were! 🤐
03:19 PM - Jan 16, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}