George Steffanos
A
thread 1/7
August 15, 1983: From Sages Ravine, the #AppalachianTrail climbed steeply to another wooded plateau.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Massachusetts #nature #forest #mountains #adventure #trails #appalachiantrail
10:42 AM - Jan 17, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/7
In the middle of a cool dark hemlock forest, it crossed Bear Rock Stream near the eastern rim of the plateau.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/7
I took a short side trip to one of my favorite places on earth, following the stream east off the trail for about fifty yards to a spot where the flat ground ends like an abrupt stroke of a giant axe and a high cliff towers above the broad, bucolic upper Housatonic Valley.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/7
The southern tip of the Berkshires seemed to spring just as suddenly from the flattish valley floor a few miles away on the valley's eastern edge.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/7
A few feet behind me the stream plunged over the edge of the plateau, the beginning of a tall series of cascades. I took another fifteen-minute break there.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/7
From Bear Rock Stream, the next mile-and-a-half of the Appalachian Trail ascended Race Mountain, picking its way up a boulder-strewn slope softened by a carpet of fallen hemlock needles. The last half-mile of that climb threaded a narrow perch atop massive naked rock cliffs.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/7
The AT then crossed another rocky, scrubby summit area. Hawks drifted lazily on the smooth thermals of a mid-August afternoon, soaring high above the valley below.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}