Robert Westbrook, Aircraft and Accordion Repair
A
thread 1/9
Having worked as an inspector on a few airframes (Bombardier Global 7500, Global Express, Challenger 600 series, Q400) the loose bolt photos on a 737 Max 9 from United have me thinking - someone's name and stamp is on the paperwork, and they are shitting themselves right now.
02:48 PM - Jan 17, 2024
A
thread 2/9
I have rarely found anything truly serious, mostly nuisance items that may cause problems in the distant future - bad sealant jobs, bad or backward safety wire work, missing inter-slat silicone seals. This is a bad lockwire job and its do-over.
A
thread 3/9
Once a test pilot on a Global 7500 (these were brand new airplanes off the final line) reported a nosewheel shimmy at certain speeds on takeoff; we found that a wheel bearing had failed and thrown all its grease around the hub. That one was obvious. Easy fix.
A
thread 4/9
Another time on a Global 7500 I found an isolated, asymmetric wear pattern on the fan rub strip. Some wear is normal so long as it's uniform, but isolated to one spot is unusual, I had to flag it. Inlet bolts hadn't been uniformly torqued. Easy fix. GE Passport uses a one-piece 'blisk' for the fan.
A
thread 5/9
Emergency exit door hinge bushing a little chewed up from door being opened and closed so many times during checkouts; still serviceable but customer might complain. Easy fix. We used torque witness marks on critical fasteners as proof of tightening witnessed by an inspector.
A
thread 6/9
This is what the aircraft looks like before it goes to a "completion center" where the interior is installed.

And for some reason, you're not allowed to drink cocktails or use intravenous drugs while operating the scissor lift.
A
thread 7/9
Since I was new to the type, during the fan spinner inspection, I mentioned to the lead that the spinner was missing a bunch of bolts, and WTF. Luckily he had much more experience than me and assured me this was normal - designed so that every third hole didn't have one.
A
thread 8/9
An absolutely unacceptable and sloppy sealant job in a difficult spot. I am sure whoever got to re-do this was cursing me after I flagged it.
A
thread 9/9
Anyhoo, I'm not crawling around in tight compartments anymore with a mirror and flashlight. I'm getting too old and decrepit for it. I do courseware development now. But I have seen a lot change, from working on airplanes like the 707 with all "steam gauges" to fully glass cockpits and Fly By Wire.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}