Professor Kyle
A
Phillip Bump has been on a roll. The best part is he describes how people believing lies they read online is in large part caused by confirmation bias – they'll believe anything that tells them their warped, bigoted worldview is correct. Gifted article.
01:11 AM - Jan 18, 2024 (Edited)
Kos
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
"There is an outsize appetite for derogatory, counterintuitive or anti-institutional assessments of the world around us."

A throwback to the "Know Nothings"
01:08 PM - Jan 18, 2024
Reet Petite
A
Thanks for the gift article! Lots of good insights here. Glad to see Bump citing one of the smartest journalists & social media critics working today - Michael Hobbes.
07:55 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Kos
A
In response to Reet Petite.
Echoing Reet's thanks for the gift :) Good article.
01:10 PM - Jan 18, 2024
Adam Deitsch □
A
Doing your own research is absolutely fine... if you know how to do research.
07:01 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Jonathan Meyers
A
There's also the death of expertise phenomenon where authoritative sources and people are less recognized (or outright scorned) and the average person assumes the ability to "research" online will give them informed parity with experts.
05:31 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Miggs Bylaws
A
It's a challenge to educate ourselves, but doing so by taking apart our own bias, watching out for dentifiable misrepresentations/bias & missing context, by working to learn from those more educated on the topic, & also recognizing that the learning never stops. It's the 'Google university' problem.
03:34 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Lipsticktraces
B
Thanks for the gift!
03:25 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Henning Dekant
A
“research“

It‘s a pity how much this word has been devalued by people who have absolutely no idea what actual research entails.
03:01 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Puckarama
A
Every time I see this picture I just want to drop this fucking asshole! While I’ve tried to eschew violence as I’ve gotten older, I would definitely make exceptions for these MFers!
01:43 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Puckarama.
Yup.
08:41 AM - Jan 18, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}