Mc Crispy
A
thread 1/5
It's taken a couple days to put my thoughts into proper words.

On Saturday one of our beloved friends was expressing a grievance with a parent. And a whole lot of people ignored what was being said, and went straight to the "someday they won't be here, and what'll you have?" kinds of statements.
01:01 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
thread 2/5
Let me tell you what they'll have. Peace.

No family is ideal. Everyone has their grievances and troubles. For some of us, that involved persistent abuse. For some a complete absence.

Making statements like those previously mentioned, completely dismisses what we've gone through; survived.
01:01 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Mc Crispy
A
thread 3/5
That's incredibly hurtful and actively harmful.

Our experiences are valid, and OURS. It's not up to you to decide whether they are or aren't. It's up to us.

Some of us got away from those early abuses. Some of us are still being abused, as adults. And it's not as simple as "well just remove
Mc Crispy
A
thread 4/5
yourself from the situation, if it's so bad". If only it were that easy.

Circumstances are different and difficult for everyone. When we vent, stop yourself and listen. Practice some empathy. Ask yourself how you would feel receiving the message you're about to send, if you were in our shoes.
Mc Crispy
A
thread 5/5
Child abuse doesn't always end once you're 18. It can persist for many decades after. There's never an easy answer, but there is easy empathy.
Robyn Stewart
A
As someone who finally found peace after cutting off contact with my emotionally abusive mother, thank you. There are millions of us out here who will never be shamed for circumstances beyond our control or desire, nor will we be made to feel guilty. Our reality is valid.💚
In response to Mc Crispy.
01:38 PM - Jan 29, 2024
9Gen
A
In response to Robyn Stewart.
🫂💞 We're out here.
11:53 PM - Jan 29, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}