Bowerydoll
A
thread 1/10
CW🚨:
My Indigenous take on Killers of the Flower Moon.

I was honestly dreading seeing it. I really appreciate Lily Gladstone's own warning to Native folks about watching it. She warned that it would be violent and strongly suggested seeing it with other Native women (and men) instead of watching
03:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
thread 2/10
it alone. I finally sat down a few days ago and strapped in with some Native & Black sisterfriends. We were all glad we watched it together. Lily Gladstone was PHENOMENAL bringing Mollie to life. I wish she had a meatier role, but her performance was so brilliant. The way she acted with her EYES was
Bowerydoll
A
thread 3/10
so powerful. She deserves to get the Oscar. For me, her performance as Mollie strongly symbolized the experience of Native women in this white settler colonial state we live in. It spoke VOLUMES. This film was so heavy with white settler masculinity it was suffocating and overwhelming in so many
Bowerydoll
A
thread 4/10
parts. Watching the predators circling around her and the other Osage was so real and soul-crushing. The violence against Native women was extremely hard to get through. All in all, I wish the film had truly been centered more on the Osage characters & not so much on the white ones. Seeing the FBI
03:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Bowerydoll
A
thread 5/10
lifted up as white saviors frustrated all of us considering their deadly actions against Black & Indigenous liberation movements that they've committed for generations. That's one of the main reasons I didn't want to read the book the film was based on. All in all, I really, REALLY wish this
03:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Bowerydoll
A
thread 6/10
fim had been made by Osage & other Native filmmakers. Scorsese is a powerful force in Hollywood. He could've stepped aside so Native writers & directors could've told this story through the Osage lens. He could've been the producer. Instead this film was so much meatier for the white actors. The
Bowerydoll
A
thread 7/10
trailers alone made it look like a rowdy western with Indigenous folks in the background. Osage culture wasn't "centered" in the film aside from the early scenes burying the pipe. To all my Indigenous sisters and brothers who are debating about whether to see this film...the biggest reason to see it
Bowerydoll
A
thread 8/10
is Lily Gladstone. If you decide to watch, don't watch it alone. See it with friends and loved ones so you can process and be heard about how it impacts you. If you're looking for a deep analysis from Indigenous points of view, please check out the sisters from The Red Nation on YouTube. They
Bowerydoll
A
thread 9/10
recently did a great episode examining it. The viewpoints they share hit the mark for how this film impacted me and my friends and the deeper conversations we've been having about it🎯👇🏾👇🏾

Nuktanla (peace)🖐🏾🕯
RPH vs. Killers of the Flower Moon - YouTube

Red Power Hour is back! Co-hosts Elena Ortiz and Melanie Yazzie take on Martin Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)The Red Nation Podcast is sustaine...

Bandele Ganiyu
B
In response to Bowerydoll.
I haven't read anything about it, didn't want any preconceived notions. I didn't even know it is violence in it until now. I haven't seen it yet but I will soon. Can't wait.
10:01 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Bandele Ganiyu.
Lily MAKES THAT FILM. She's the reason I sat thru all those hours. She's mesmerizing on screen -- especially with her nonverbal cues.
10:03 PM - Jan 29, 2024
NorthCoast TerryMaryJoan
A
Thank you for sharing your take 🧵.
I so respect the generosity of allowing us behind your lens.
09:17 PM - Jan 29, 2024
AmericaNDN
A
Thank you so very much for this! I've been avoiding watching it, due to previous reactions I've had to such stories, and now I intend to avoid it. I'm still dragging my feet on listening to the audiobook. I will definitely visit the podcast as you suggested. Again, a huge thank you.
08:48 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Rosetta
A
Happy you were able to watch it w/ support. I can no longer watch films based on Black/Indigenous/Brown trauma. I've had my fill. At my age witnessed a lot. Whenever I watch them I get very depressed & angry towards every white person I see for several days. Mentally I can't handle it any longer.
06:10 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Rosetta.
I hear you a tek. I'm done. This was the end for me.
06:12 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
Thank you for this thread and sharing an incredibly important perspective.
04:37 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
You're welcome.
04:38 PM - Jan 29, 2024

Only followers of this user (knitquiltsewst1) can see their posts

Missy McMurray
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
I agree, the book is better. My maternal great grandmother was Osage so that drew me to this book. I was disappointed the film changed the entire focus.
08:01 PM - Jan 29, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
The book was SO Hard to read.
11:22 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Robyn Stewart
A
I waited for your take on it before even putting the film on my TBW list bc I’m well aware of how situations/history gets whitewashed in films. Thank you for posting - your opinion matters most.💚
04:13 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Robyn Stewart.
You're so welcome, Robyn. I really dragged my feet so hard with finally seeing it. I'm so glad for Lily's warning about the violence. It's an intense film.
04:17 PM - Jan 29, 2024
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}