Bowerydoll
A
thread 1/10
CW🚨:
My Indigenous take on Killers of the Flower Moon.

I was honestly dreading seeing it. I really appreciate Lily Gladstone's own warning to Native folks about watching it. She warned that it would be violent and strongly suggested seeing it with other Native women (and men) instead of watching
03:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
thread 2/10
it alone. I finally sat down a few days ago and strapped in with some Native & Black sisterfriends. We were all glad we watched it together. Lily Gladstone was PHENOMENAL bringing Mollie to life. I wish she had a meatier role, but her performance was so brilliant. The way she acted with her EYES was
Bowerydoll
A
thread 3/10
so powerful. She deserves to get the Oscar. For me, her performance as Mollie strongly symbolized the experience of Native women in this white settler colonial state we live in. It spoke VOLUMES. This film was so heavy with white settler masculinity it was suffocating and overwhelming in so many
Bowerydoll
A
thread 4/10
parts. Watching the predators circling around her and the other Osage was so real and soul-crushing. The violence against Native women was extremely hard to get through. All in all, I wish the film had truly been centered more on the Osage characters & not so much on the white ones. Seeing the FBI
03:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Bowerydoll
A
thread 5/10
lifted up as white saviors frustrated all of us considering their deadly actions against Black & Indigenous liberation movements that they've committed for generations. That's one of the main reasons I didn't want to read the book the film was based on. All in all, I really, REALLY wish this
03:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Bowerydoll
A
thread 6/10
fim had been made by Osage & other Native filmmakers. Scorsese is a powerful force in Hollywood. He could've stepped aside so Native writers & directors could've told this story through the Osage lens. He could've been the producer. Instead this film was so much meatier for the white actors. The
Bowerydoll
A
thread 7/10
trailers alone made it look like a rowdy western with Indigenous folks in the background. Osage culture wasn't "centered" in the film aside from the early scenes burying the pipe. To all my Indigenous sisters and brothers who are debating about whether to see this film...the biggest reason to see it
Bowerydoll
A
thread 8/10
is Lily Gladstone. If you decide to watch, don't watch it alone. See it with friends and loved ones so you can process and be heard about how it impacts you. If you're looking for a deep analysis from Indigenous points of view, please check out the sisters from The Red Nation on YouTube. They
Bowerydoll
A
thread 9/10
recently did a great episode examining it. The viewpoints they share hit the mark for how this film impacted me and my friends and the deeper conversations we've been having about it🎯👇🏾👇🏾

Nuktanla (peace)🖐🏾🕯
RPH vs. Killers of the Flower Moon - YouTube

Red Power Hour is back! Co-hosts Elena Ortiz and Melanie Yazzie take on Martin Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)The Red Nation Podcast is sustaine...

Bowerydoll
A
thread 10/10
Katie in KY
A
In response to Bowerydoll.
Thank you for this thread and your perspective. I haven’t watched it yet myself because I’ve felt it being from Scorsese and the book it was based off weren’t going to do this history they way it should be told, I definitely plan on reading some of the other books that have been recommended.
01:01 PM - Jan 30, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Katie in KY.
You're welcome, Katie. I'm searching for documentaries on the true history told from Osage voices, maybe even descendants of the ancestors who were murdered. Definitely check out those other books, especially by Native writers.
01:32 PM - Jan 30, 2024
Bandele Ganiyu
B
I don't even know what its about, I live in CO there is a huge Native American culture here, several tribes, reservations. And I've worked with NA for many years. I want to see it on the big screen/sound in the theatre not on subscriptions for the same price.
10:09 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Bandele Ganiyu.
It really is worth looking up the true history, especially from the Osage people's point of view. I ran across some videos on YouTube today while looking for Osage folks telling their own story. I heard this story when I was a little girl as a cautionary tale about white settler colonial greed.
10:22 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Bandele Ganiyu.
I'm not totally sure if it''s still in theatres now?? It's streaming on several platforms according to google. My friends and I watched on AppleTV.
10:24 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Mark Harming
A
My wife (who is Lakota) won't watch it. I have read the book, so I may watch it.
10:08 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Mark Harming.
I understand how she feels and she's not alone. The violence is so disturbing -- especially how it's aimed at Native women. It really was heavy with white settler masculinity & was hard to get thru. Lily Gladstone is the only reason I sat thru all those hours. If your wife decides to watch, please
10:29 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Mark Harming.
encourage her to watch with you and some Native friends. You need to process and talk about it. So much stuff came up for me and my friends as we watched together.
10:30 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Dawn Armfield
A
An Indigenous friend (Cherokee/Dakota) is teaching Mean Spirit by Linda Hogan this semester. Hogan is Chickasaw from Oklahoma and the book is about the Osage murders. 1990. We wondered why a book by a white man was made into the movie instead of using Hogan's book.
06:05 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Dawn Armfield.
Seriously, Dawn. I heard about that book and shook my tired head so hatd when I first heard Scorsese chose to base the film on that white man's book. It's beyond wrong.
06:08 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Jeannie (she/her)
A
Thank you for sharing this perspective. My son and I watched it together. We both had the same feelings about the film focusing too much on DeNiro and Leo. We both loved Lily Gladstone and wish she'd been the focus. As my son said, "Mollie was the heart of the story. We needed more of her."
04:49 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Jeannie (she/her).
Your son is brilliant -- just like his ishki (mom)!!!! Lily was so incredible. Her nonverbal cues spoke VOLUMES. She's one of my favorite actors and I hope she wins the Oscar for this performance. Did you get a chance to see her in the Reservation Dogs series??? Just incredible♥️
04:54 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Derek Croucher
A
Thank you for this!
04:13 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Derek Croucher.
You're so welcome, luv. Thanks for listening♥️
04:19 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Pam Sourelis