Matlock
A
thread 1/10
Working my way through my wife's library of Nancy Drew games for the first time. I have now finished game #4 : Treasure in the Royal Tower. Here's my brief review

Rating: ❤️❤️🖤🖤🖤
Every great thing this game does comes with an equal and opposite bad thing
#VibeoGrames #gaming #NancyDrew
11:48 AM - Feb 03, 2024
Matlock
A
thread 2/10
Good: Bigger, more ambitious game than the previous three!
Bad: Laid out in a confusing way so it's hard to know what you're supposed to do next and using the interface is half the difficulty.
Matlock
A
thread 3/10
Good: Improved user interface from the first games where it's easier to tell what will happen when you click on something!
Bad: Because of the game's increased complexity, it's *harder* to use the interface than in previous games. You'll get stuck because you won't know what you can interact with.
Matlock
A
thread 4/10
Good: More difficult than previous games and requires you to think harder!
Bad: A lot of difficulty comes from the "you don't know what you don't know" problem, where you're missing information, but you don't know that, so you're running in circles forever.
Matlock
A
thread 5/10
Good: The puzzles involving navigating to the Royal Tower are brilliant and integrated into the world.
Bad: You have to do them, at minimum, three times. On the way are two puzzles which reset themselves every time, one of which changes its solution with each viewing and is trial-and-error. Awful.
Matlock
A
thread 6/10
Good: Game world isn't large but it's much bigger than the other games so far, with plenty of secrets to explore.
Bad: While secret passageways have shortcuts out of them, you must *always* go through a tedious process to get into them. This significantly pads the run time of the game for no reason.
Matlock
A
thread 7/10
Good: Progress often involves memorizing character schedules so you know when to find them somewhere or when no one will notice you snooping around.
Bad: Even if playing optimally, you'll have to skip ahead times a lot. It's annoying to keep skipping days and hoping you got the right time.
Matlock
A
thread 8/10
Good: The story provides good intrigue and lets you make your own inferences from the clues.
Bad: But the story is wildly implausible and no one can suspend their disbelief that much. No way would people disassemble a building, move it, put it back together, without noticing the treasure inside.
Matlock
A
thread 9/10
Good: Hotchkiss is a fun new character, and I'm glad she will reappear in other games.
Bad: Jacques is French, but the VA seems either unable to do the accent. It's bad enough to take me out of the game but not bad enough to be funny. Also, Dexter's VA, it's pronounced "Library," not "Lie-berry."
Matlock
A
thread 10/10
OVERALL:
When it's good, it's very good, but when it's bad, it's aggravating. That puts it in the middle as far as I'm concerned. If you like the genre or Nancy Drew in general you'll probably ignore the bad parts and really love the game.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}