George Steffanos
A
thread 1/8
August 8, 1983: I had hiked the preceding four miles without stopping, in one-and-a-half hours.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #NewYork #nature #forest #mountains #adventure #trails #appalachiantrail
08:54 AM - Feb 04, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/8
I now possessed a half-hour cushion for my attempt to reach the monastery. I stumbled to the top of the ridge, where the Appalachian Trail came out onto an old dirt road. Now, I faced a dilemma: the views from a cliff called Anthony’s Nose were reputed to be spectacular,
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/8
but they were a one-mile round trip off the Appalachian Trail. If I went for it, I would blow the entire cushion I had just worked so hard to acquire. Did I really want to push myself to the limit just as I was finally starting to find my good hiking pace again?
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/8
I dropped my pack, grabbed my camera, and headed down the road towards Anthony’s Nose. I am glad I did not miss those vistas. It was one of the best panoramas since Shenandoah. Below me was the impressive Bear Mountain Bridge I had just crossed.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/8
The Hudson River below was less than a hundred feet above sea level and the bluffs I was on soared to around nine hundred, overlooking a broad sweep of the Hudson River Valley's Hudson Highlands region. Across the river,
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/8
Bear Mountain hulked over the western bank of the Hudson, rising another four hundred feet above me. The mountain was flanked by two large, quiet coves, the drowned outlets of a pair of large brooks that swept around the north and south flanks of the mountain and emptied into the Hudson.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/8
Between those coves on the lower slopes of Bear Mountain was anything but quiet on this fine summer afternoon. Those slopes accommodated the Bear Mountain Inn plus Hessian Lake, the zoo, the pool and all those masses of humanity through which I had just walked,
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/8
although from this distance the hordes were a lot less apparent.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}