Carol D ☮️
A
thread 1/6
A thought provoking piece. A thread to follow:
01:53 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Carol D ☮️
A
thread 2/6
My initial reaction was to think (as a former JOU major) that if we are going to oppose book banning, we sadly have to allow material like this on the shelves. We can’t cry fowl only when it benefits our viewpoint, I presumed. (Throw in the free speech aspect as well…)
01:55 PM - Feb 04, 2024 (Edited)
Carol D ☮️
A
thread 3/6
But another friend pointed out that (as a former victim of emotional and verbal abuse herself) she could see the gaslighting and manipulation being used by the book’s donor from a mile away. Abusive and controlling people know how to use the system…
02:01 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Carol D ☮️
A
thread 4/6
I fear the far right is now perched to take protests over book banning, turn them around, and proclaim that these types of books mentioned in the NYT article must be made available to the public, because those of us who protested their attempts at banning certain books can’t have it both ways…
02:27 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Carol D ☮️
A
thread 5/6
Librarians have always quietly done a spectacular job of making sure the rest of us have access to the information we need and the books we want to read. But I fear a certain group is about to make their job incredibly difficult, and place them in a no-win situation. They don’t deserve this.
02:28 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Carol D ☮️
A
thread 6/6
(Side note: the JOU major in me is really irritated about the typo in the 2nd spout. I darn well know it should be “foul” and I’m mad I didn’t see it before the editing window timed out. But I had enough trouble posting this as it is, so I have no patience left to retype it. My apologies… 🤦🏼‍♀️😂)
02:32 PM - Feb 04, 2024 (Edited)
Carol D ☮️
A
I completely agree with you that those are not even close to being equal. But I don’t think that will necessarily stop them from trying to use it to manipulate the system.
In response to RA.
02:53 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Deb Montague
A
In response to Carol D ☮️.
Thank you for this. I had a friend of close to 30 years who decided Covid was a myth. He would send me pages printed off Amazon which listed books against Covid and against Dr. Fauci. It's May of the start of the pandemic. How can there be dozens of books against these topics already?
03:58 PM - Feb 04, 2024
Deb Montague
A
In response to Deb Montague.
They were simple rehashing of stuff dredged up or thought up about both topics. Remember, at the start, there was legitimate misinformation which overshadowed the information we needed. And Dr. Fauci became a public figure and lies and stories kinda go with that territory; sad but true.
04:00 PM - Feb 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}