Russ Smith
A
thread 1/7
I have listened to SCOTUS oral arguments for years and probably hear them differently than a new observer. This morning I heard a number of holes in Colorado's disqualification of Trump from the ballot.
03:34 PM - Feb 08, 2024
Russ Smith
A
thread 2/7
I should note: I absolutely believe that the President holds an office of the United States, that the President is an officer of the United States, that the President swears an oath to support the Constitution, and that Trump engaged in insurrection.
Russ Smith
A
thread 3/7
In total, that means, I am firmly in the camp of those who believe Trump is disqualified from holding any federal office, or being a Senator or Congressman, or any other role enumerated in Amdt14.S3. Of course, I am not a lawyer.
Russ Smith
A
thread 4/7
SCOTUS has to decide on the merits of the case before it using only the structures that were in force when the case was heard, and rule canonically. The Colorado Supreme Court followed Colorado law correctly, which may give SCOTUS a narrow ruling opportunity.
Russ Smith
A
thread 5/7
Regardless, this case and how the law was applied are just not a strong argument nationally. This is not like the DC Court of Appeals 57-pager tossing Trump's immunity argument - which was so T_Crossed, I_Dotted, and Leak-less as to be Finding-Writing-Standard worthy.
Russ Smith
A
thread 6/7
Even the liberal Justices went around on the issue that the roles of President and Vice President probably should have been enumerated - even if they are officers. Worse, the court reeeeeally doesn't like "any state gets to make national decisions" situation.
Russ Smith
A
thread 7/7
Colorado went for Biden in 2020 and is expected to do so again this year - so technically Trump not being on the ballot would have less impact than say Texas. Still - I'm glad I'm not a Justice. That job sucks. Also, Kavanaugh has a very punchable-face kinda voice.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}