Matlock
A
thread 1/9
Working my way through my wife's library of Nancy Drew games for the first time. I have finished game #6 : Secret of the Scarlet Hand. Here's my brief review.

Rating: ❤️❤️🖤🖤🖤 (was almost really great)
#VIbeoGrames #gaming #NancyDrew
11:54 AM - Feb 09, 2024
Matlock
A
thread 2/9
The Good:
- Good set-up and payoff for the plot
- Puzzles integrated well into the plot, better than the previous five
- Great atmosphere
- Rewards paying attention and taking notes
- Somewhat non-linear in that there are multiple threads you can solve concurrently
Matlock
A
thread 3/9
The Bad:
- A couple spots where progression requires making illogical or even reckless decisions and just hope that the game rewards you for it
- One puzzle was kinda buggy and wouldn't let me progress even after I solved it so I had to solve it AGAIN
Matlock
A
thread 4/9
More Bad:
- Part of solving the mystery involves phone calls, but the game often gives you no indication of who you're supposed to call and when, so you just have to call over and over and hope this time the game lets you move on
Matlock
A
thread 5/9
More Bad:
- A repeat of the awful maze game from Message in a Haunted Mansion, but it's ten times as long and tedious
- It seems every game has to have a timed puzzle at the end. They are never good. They will never be good. Puzzle games generally should never do this.
Matlock
A
thread 6/9
The Weird:
- You, as Nancy, are REQUIRED at one point to pick a dialogue option to tell a Mexican man not to be so upset about the Conquistadors because it happened hundreds of years ago. If you want Nancy to be flawed that's fine, but don't force ME to say it, jeez
Matlock
A
thread 7/9
More Weird:
- I'll accept Hollywood Amnesia being used as a plot device, but what's especially weird is how, without the amnesia moment happening, the entire plot would have happened without you.
- Nobody in the Nancy Drew universe knows how to password protect their files lmao
Matlock
A
thread 8/9
OVERALL: it could have been the most complete in the series so far, but the bad elements seriously ruin it. When I get stuck, it should be because I don't yet know how to use information I have, not because the game is withholding information I don't know it's withholding.
Matlock
A
thread 9/9
If you're lucky you might stumble onto things in a more optimal order and avoid getting stuck at the phone call sections. Or, you can just keep a hint guide open so that once you've solved the fun bits you can check to see what phone call comes next and avoid getting needlessly stuck.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}