DeAnna Munchkin
A
thread 1/5
#DailyPictureTheme #Black

This is Kaylee! My beautiful black street dog. She wants me to educate everyone about the stigma of black dogs.

1. She is SO soft. Everytime a new person pets her they exclaim how soft she is. One of my neighbours has nicknamed her Silky. But we also get comments...
10:26 AM - Feb 10, 2024
DeAnna Munchkin
A
thread 2/5
That they thought she would have dirty, wirey fur. This is a common misconception that black dogs are dirty. Wire haired dogs, like terriers, can also have soft fur but the softest fur out there will be girls like my Kaylee who have luxurious double coats.

2. Another thought is that they are evil.
DeAnna Munchkin
A
thread 3/5
People often will cross the street or recoil when they see a black dog. The contrast was insane when walking with my crew. People would gravitate to Nanuq, my eskie but barely want to touch Kaylee because of the colour of her fur.

3. Black dogs are overlooked and euthanized at a much higher rate.
DeAnna Munchkin
A
thread 4/5
When it comes to shelter dogs, one of the worst fates they can have is being black. I worked in rescues for years. On average it would take 2-4 weeks for a dog to be adopted. Black dogs averaged 6 to 8 weeks. I had long term fosters in place just so we could pull black dogs from the kill shelters.
DeAnna Munchkin
A
thread 5/5
So always remember to adopt, don't shop. And when you adopt consider adopting a black dog or cat. They need you! 🖤
Jean Poole
A
In response to DeAnna Munchkin.
Kaylee is beautiful. 😍 🥰
12:38 PM - Feb 10, 2024
DeAnna Munchkin
A
In response to Jean Poole.
Thank you! Kaylee also has a pretty interesting story that one day I will type up for Spoutible. Long story, condensed. I was traveling through Bolivia and she was a street dog in a small town - Copacabana - living on the beaches of Lake Titicaca.
06:50 PM - Feb 10, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}