Anthony Lee
A
thread 1/11
Many of you know that I spout wisdom and philosophy from time to time. It's natural for me as someone who regularly observes the world as it happens.

Looking back on Super Bowl LVIII last night has led me to several thoughts, which I shall present in this thread to keep it all in one place.
10:58 AM - Feb 12, 2024
Anthony Lee
A
thread 2/11
I love American culture, yet there are still aspects I may criticize.

In sports and other contests, it seems that the winner is showered with glory while the loser is ignored, ridiculed, or given minimal consolation. I wonder if overemphasis on winning makes people prone to mental health issues.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 3/11
To me, winning and losing aren't all-or-nothing deals.

Losing doesn't mean being worthless. It just means the effort and achievement did not exceed those of the winner, even by a tiny bit. You know, like the final play of Super Bowl LVIII.

If you lose, celebrate the effort, then work to be better.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 4/11
It's also important to remember that winning and achieving something are not excuses to be arrogant and push down others who haven't reached your level of success. You know how much work it takes to get there. Surely you know that others are enduring the same struggle. Maintain empathy for them.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 5/11
Handling disappointment from losing a competition is important. By looking at falling short with a positive perspective, one can avoid deep negative feelings.

So if you don't land land the job you apply for, the first date with someone attractive, etc., it's OK. You can try again. It's never over.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 6/11
It's better to celebrate when winning and be level-headed when losing than to celebrate when winning but feel devastated when losing.

By being positive when things don't go the way you want, you can still feel OK. Life does not have to be an emotional rollercoaster with deep downward dips.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 7/11
When my 49ers lost Super Bowl LVIII, I just turned off the TV and celebrated their season, with its 12 regular season wins, two comeback-from-behind playoff wins, and the skills of the players. That's it. I don't need the national sports media to make me feel horrible about the team I love.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 8/11
I lived through one major sports letdown before.

In 2016, my Golden State Warriors won 73 regular season games, breaking Michael Jordan's 72-game record, only to blow a 3-1 game lead in the NBA Finals and lose Game 7 by 4 points. I still loved my team.

And they still won three more championships.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 9/11
I do understand that, for some people, seeing their favorite sports team winning is a big deal because it feels like the only real source of joy they have.

Nevertheless, I still encourage finding joy in things we can control, like our perspective and behavior, not in things we can only observe.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 10/11
As much as losing can feel unpleasant, it is always possible to move on and try again. Every new sports season, contest, job interview, etc. is a new chapter that ignores the past and can be written in any way. If at first you don't succeed, try again. Never believe that you only have one chance.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 11/11
In summary, winning and losing are not struggles where you have to win or else suffer. They are a natural part of life, and getting through that requires looking at it positively.

If you win, great. If you lose, try again until you win.

With this mindset, life won't feel so bad at all. 🙂
10:59 AM - Feb 12, 2024
Stephanie McMillenSherry
A
In response to Anthony Lee.
Wow! I love this. It should be a written handout to parents at the start of every kids sport season. Well said
11:12 AM - Feb 12, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}