Myron Clifton
A
thread 1/5
I remember going to welfare office with my mom and watching her have to justify being poor to the white lady who would decide if we could have food stamps. Her sneering questions about why my mom had 3 kids, why she only had seasonal work, and why she didn’t sell her wedding ring
05:53 PM - Feb 15, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 2/5
Mom calmly answered every question for herself and my disappeared father who was out on the streets somewhere

The lady’s supervisor, a white man, came to punctuate the insults by telling mom she was pretty enough to keep a man so he couldn’t understand why she needed food stamps
05:54 PM - Feb 15, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 3/5
This Spout is about my mom, but it’s also about Fani Willis, and Black women in America.

I’ve written before that Black women are founding mothers of this nation. They’ve birthed and nursed three nations -one black, one white, one mixed -not always by choice.
Myron Clifton
A
thread 4/5
The most diametrically opposed demographic is white men and Black women.

One most loyal gop one the most loyal democrat

Until white men specifically see Black women, specifically, as their equal this nation will never advance or progress.

We think it’s white men vs Black men
Myron Clifton
A
thread 5/5
It’s not. And it has never been despite what we’ve learned & been taught

It is white men vs Black women

Fani Willis, VP Harris, Megan Markle, Beyonce, to little unknown Black girls in society-they are targets for the worst America has to offer

I weep for them and as much as I can feel their pain
05:55 PM - Feb 15, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}