Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #FireTalkingPoint

Does this still apply today? How?

“It was another fear, a fear that the child, in challenging the white world’s assumptions, was putting himself in the path of destruction.” (p. 27)

#SBBC #FireNextTime
11:36 PM - Feb 16, 2024
Ruth Neese
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
#SBBC #FireNextTime Yes, it applies. Baldwin is speaking of a black family. A black child who gets “uppity” is still made to pay for that ill-advised challenge, sometimes with their life. Racist power structure don’t like POC challengers.
07:24 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Angelique Yaich
A
#FireNextTime pg 23
People find it very difficult to act on what they know, to act is to be committed, to be committed is to be in danger.

So many people content to stay in their own lane and be safe, Not many have the courage of Alexei Navalny, Zelensky, Fani Willis, Tish James, J6 Committee...
12:19 PM - Feb 17, 2024
AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn
A
In response to Angelique Yaich.
I think it's important to look at the risk and then acknowledge that not everyone has the same risk tolerance nor do they have the same things to actually risk.
01:03 PM - Feb 17, 2024
AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn
A
I don't know but I hate, hate, hate how all these books default to the male perspective. All references are to boys, men, he, and him. I can't tell you how many times I read books as a child and wondered where all the girls and women were.
11:44 PM - Feb 16, 2024
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
In response to AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn.
I can understand that, though he does talk about women, and particularly Black women a lot.

But it seems important to keep in mind we are seeing the world directly through James Baldwin's eyes, miracle that that is, a Black gay man crystalizing a specific moment in time.
#FireNextTime #SBBC
01:15 PM - Feb 17, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}