George Steffanos
A
thread 1/6
May 24, 1983: When the clothes were dry, I returned to the Inn for the night. The old mansion sports a fine, two-tiered veranda running the length of the house.
#backpacking #hiking #landscapephotography #NorthCarolina #Tennessee #mountains #nature #forest #appalachiantrail
10:18 AM - Feb 18, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/6
I spent a good part of the night relaxing on the upstairs portion near our room, gazing out over the town.

After the early 1900’s, warm mineral baths lost their popularity and Hot Springs drifted into the quiet backwaters of time.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/6
The one remaining night spot seems to be a large barn of a roller-skating rink which I walked past today. Hot Springs, North Carolina in 1983 is basically a one-street town a few blocks long, surrounded by scattered farms and vast acreage of National Forest.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/6
It straddles the French Broad River a few miles east of the Tennessee border, near the cleft where that stream cuts through the Bald Mountains.

I stayed up very late, sitting out on that veranda.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/6
The stillness of the warm southern night was occasionally broken by the long, lonely whistles of passing freight trains. There is a strange, special quality to time on the Appalachian Trail. Days pass with the slow, majestic crawl of a summer in childhood.

Sometimes,
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/6
like tonight, you find yourself in a place where time seems to have moved backwards, to an era which ended before you were born.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 Appalachian Trail Thru-hike). Available in paperback & eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09Q...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}