Emi Madison
A
thread 1/5
Finally saw Barbie this weekend and one of my favorite parts was that as Stereotypical Barbie becomes more and more human, she looks more human. Increasingly less makeup and airbrushing, platinum to "natural" blonde, less saturated irises, etc.
#BarbieMovie #MovieObservations
12:05 AM - Feb 23, 2024
Emi Madison
A
thread 2/5
Even the soundtrack echoes this. Snippets of Billie Eilish's "What Was I Made For?" make appearances throughout the movie and are arguably less "polished" with the more human (i.e., complex/emotionally introspective) moments of the film, culminating in the full song at the conclusion.
#BarbieMovie
Emi Madison
A
thread 3/5
Barbie goes from "perfect plastic" to "just human" (an "average" woman), which contains such beautiful messages: the perfection of imperfection (and vice versa); the beauty of all life's complexities and nuances; the marvel of simply existing as you are.
#BarbieMovie #MovieObservations
Emi Madison
A
thread 4/5
Another connection is that Barbie eventually says "I don't feel pretty anymore." The narration makes a joke about Margot Robbie being the wrong casting choice to make this point, but the casting actually drives home the idea of the impossible standard that women experience.
#BarbieMovie
03:56 PM - Feb 24, 2024
Emi Madison
A
thread 5/5
The concept that women can only be or feel pretty through achieving and maintaining perfection is reinforced throughout the movie, especially in Barbie losing her "plastic perfection" and becoming a natural, beautiful woman.
#BarbieMovie #MovieObservation
03:58 PM - Feb 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}