Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
We need to codify Roe and pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act. If it really shakes out this way, we need to focus on those 2 things first. Period. Gun control right after. Let's ban assault rifles again. Let's do whatever we can with everyday we have a majority to shore up democracy.
Christopher Bouzy @cbouzy
IF my predictions are accurate, Biden will be reelected, the Democrats will maintain control of the Senate with 50 seats, VP Harris will be the tie-breaker, and the Democrats will take control of the House. The House will not be close, and Democrats will win control of the House with 25+ seats.
10:16 AM - Feb 22, 2024
09:48 PM - Feb 22, 2024
Whiskerchops von Fuzzybutt
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
I agree, but consider granting statehood to DC (plenty of political support) and Puerto Rico (somewhat less popular) and “lock in” Dem control for a number of years

That would make abortion and voting rights acts so much more attainable and permanent
09:53 PM - Feb 22, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
In response to Whiskerchops von Fuzzybutt.
Both of those are an incredible long shot though. And who's to say GOP in those 2 places wouldn't suppress and gerrymander their way to power, look at Texas? The vote, and having it backed up by law and courts is the greatest safety net of democracy. More people don't matter if they can't vote.
09:59 PM - Feb 22, 2024
A
I’m from Ohio - I know gerrymandering

DC statehood initiatives keep gaining traction in Congress. Local support for PR is mixed, you’re right. (That’s why I couched my answer! 😉)

However, there is good reason to believe (and Republicans fear) those 6 electoral vote will go Dem for a long time
05:54 AM - Feb 23, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
DC is majority Black, that's why statehood has been fought for so long. That state would give Black folks a seat at the power game table. A real seat. More delegates at the Convention seat. Too much power for old white power structure to handle.
06:55 AM - Feb 23, 2024
A
But if not now, when?

I agree, DC statehood would be a historical demarcation of where the old fat white guy hegemony passed away.

But the old fat white guys (like yours truly) can’t fight history. Our bloc is waning - and more of us are realizing that that would be for the best.
08:03 AM - Feb 23, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
It could happen in the next decade or so. It's not impossible. But for 2024 and 2028, I think it's just chatter. Good chatter, but chatter. But I see either it happening or some compromise being made on proper Congressional representation without statehood.
08:23 AM - Feb 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}