Myron Clifton
A
8th grade, 5th period. Typing class.

We all used those old but functional typewriters, learned QWERTY, and had to pass by typing 35 words per minute WPM w/ 0 errors

We could check out typewriters to practice at home!

At one point I was able to type 70 WPM w/no errors.

You?
02:36 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Redoubt Again
A
In response to Myron Clifton.
Same, and same. Finally got up to 45 WPM. (Married someone with 100+ WPM.)
01:19 AM - Mar 01, 2024
BryanOfOhio
A
When they finally gave up trying to teach me how to spell, they sent me over to the cooking and sewing class.
A+ in sewing, loved the machine
12:06 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Craig Tyler
A
Can’t remember any details, but took HS typing b/c 1) I wanted to be a journalist and touch typing seemed like a good skill, and 2) it was where the girls were. In my 40s, hit 80+ WPM w/ 0 errors. Now, it’s 2 fingers on a tablet keypad.
12:05 AM - Feb 28, 2024 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
About the same. Loved typing class.
11:51 PM - Feb 27, 2024
BLS Is tired of the BS
A
I took Home Economics instead of typing. I can't type and rarely cook.

Should have taken the typing class.
05:23 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Donald Albertson
A
I only used it to write assignments in college. Sometimes I had a collection of hand-written notes to work from and other times I was revising a draft that had been typed once and marked up significantly.
04:32 PM - Feb 27, 2024
ALIS ITLATOL
A
my momma (RIP) & older sistar types 70+ wpm
does that count ? 😂
me? nope, can we do it now with those audio typing apps? idk never tried the apps either.
04:16 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Lesa Foster
A
When I tell you our typing teacher was a beast 😂 she had this long yard stick when she walked the class if she caught you looking at those keys you caught that yard stick to the back of your knuckles ✊🏾♌️💙🫶🏾
04:04 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Morvani
A
Can't remember my speed, but it must have been decent. Had to be. The typing teacher drove me to school every morning. I would have heard about it.
03:54 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Heather Hughson
A
In school, we had to make minimum 45wpm with no errors to pass typing.
I recently did an exam that involved typing. Other people preparing for it talked about learning how to touch type for the first time and struggling to hit 30wpm with errors, I was >100 wpm 💪
Apparently touch typing is rare now?
03:41 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Dodi Davies
A
My grandmother taught my mom typing and shorthand in High School. I received a typewriter from my grandmother as a graduation gift. The typewriter is still at my childhood home where my mom still lives.

With all that said, I never mastered the damn thing and thank goodness for whiteout.
03:21 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Lisa W FirstWave
A
I learned how to type in High School. In my High School tying was offered from Typing 1-6. We also had an option to take Medical Office Practice, which taught us how to type information onto medical forms. I ended up in typing because one of my classes was canceled. I caught on fast and I flew by
03:18 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Lisa W FirstWave
A
In response to Lisa W FirstWave.
many students who were way ahead of me in the class because of my typing speed. The hardest part was using dictaphone. Dictaphone is when you use a typewriter to type letters or other material from voice recordings. That was so hard because the headphones were not great many years ago.
03:23 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Lisse (she/her)
A
Mine was 8th grade. Mrs. McCann (who ironically was my 7th Science teacher) This Black Superwoman was amazing in both subjects! 💕✨But I will never forget “A Space. S Space. T Double Space.” 😂

Definitely couldn’t checkout these. They were those IBM’s that you could drive.🤣⌨️
03:11 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Denise R
A
I loved typing class! I got to 65 wpm. I'm not sure what my speed is now, but I'm still pretty good, I think. 😜
03:06 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Lynn Daniello
A
The one thing I thank my HS guidance counselor for was suggesting I take a personal typing course. I am not sure of my speed but it helped tremendously in typing all those papers in college (pre-word processors).
Even helped later when these new- fangled computers became popular 😉
03:00 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Carol DeFreese
A
I was fast enough in 7th grade typing class to be part of a group of students tasked in class with typing student info for the entire school onto cardstock file forms. Now I see how wrong that was: we were unpaid labor given access to personal student information without their permission. Yikes!
02:59 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Michael Allbritton
A
I haven't timed myself in years, so I'm probably not up to 70 WPM, but I'm fairly accurate. And... knowing how to type already got me out of a weeks training in the Army.
02:51 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Craig Tyler
A
In response to Michael Allbritton.
When I got to Advanced Infantry Training after Basic, they made me Active Supply Clerk b/c I could type.

Then, when I landed in Germany, i was assigned as a clerk to a Brigade Personnel office.
12:26 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Renee Tang
A
🏆 You get all the prizes!! 🥇 I had typewriting class in middle school. At my best, maybe 55 wpm (not including mistakes!). I thought typing was dumb at the time, but later on I saw most of my coworkers doing the 2 finger typing while I could do it much faster!
02:44 PM - Feb 27, 2024 (Edited)
Paula OBrien
A
10th grade in high school. Don't remember which period or how many wpm. I do remember getting an A. 🙂
I also took a Receptionist course at a Secretarial School and having a typing course. I believe I could do 78 wpm when I completed the course.
02:43 PM - Feb 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}