Crotchity Geezer
A
thread 1/5
Nothing new regarding state vs federal power…Washington & Hamilton versus Jefferson & Madison. Most fail to appreciate the fears of our founding fathers of the prospects of a monarchy (ironic considering gop candidate) which can happen in either settings, state or fed.
The Reluctant Townie @reluctanttownie
There is, I must confess, a part of me that believes if current demographic trends continue the US becomes mostly an economic union with more powerful state governments. A lesser form of the EU. Just a possibility, and it will certainly be shaped by future events.
12:15 PM - Mar 01, 2024
12:39 PM - Mar 01, 2024
Crotchity Geezer
A
thread 2/5
Nor do they appreciate the harmonizing influences of the Fed to commerce (think interstate hwy system or aviation or treaties). You would think businesses that engage in interstate commerce would insist on homogeneous laws instead of patchwork state by state!
12:43 PM - Mar 01, 2024
Crotchity Geezer
A
thread 3/5
Remember when a bank robber could hit a bank and race to a state line to escape law enforcement. Insurance companies that choose to write business in multiple states have to consider the laws of those states which tends to drive costs up. We have businesses pushing for less regs while harming
12:50 PM - Mar 01, 2024
Crotchity Geezer
A
thread 4/5
citizens and environment! Monopolies are multiplying. That is anti-capitalism. Competition is suppressed leading to higher costs but boy are the profits and compensation packages great. Trickle down economics is a great hustle that’s been debunked for years! It’s exhausting…
12:54 PM - Mar 01, 2024 (Edited)
Crotchity Geezer
A
thread 5/5
Even the former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, Washington's free-market wise man nonpareil, admitted that he'd been wrong in thinking Adam Smith's invisible hand would save business from its own self-destruction.
01:04 PM - Mar 01, 2024
Crotchity Geezer
A
“Speculators—variant tribes of money makers—& stock jobbers of all denominations… continue the War for their own private emolument, without considering that their avarice, & thirst for gain must plunge every thing (including themselves) in one common ruin.”
In response to The Reluctant Townie.
01:18 PM - Mar 01, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
In response to Crotchity Geezer.
I'll add this to my library and/or purchase list. Thank you. Tom Rick's 'First Principles' was cogent, and this seems to be a good complement.
01:21 PM - Mar 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}