George Steffanos
A
thread 1/6
July 13, 1983: On the other side of I-70, the stiff climb up Pine Knob was a harbinger of things to come. I had been told that the AT becomes much more rugged in the northern half of Maryland.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
11:35 AM - Mar 03, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/6
I could also see this for myself by scanning the elevation profiles on my map.

I stopped at Pine Knob Shelter in order to get water. It was another real dump — filthy, decrepit, and generally falling apart. Chunks were missing from the walls.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/6
Past the shelter, the arduous ascent continued, now on a badly eroded old woods road covered with rocks.

Once I had reached the ridge crest the footway became much easier, following wide old grassy roads across a broad, flat plateau.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/6
The views from Annapolis Rock and Black Rock along the western rim were the best in Maryland and blew away everything since Hogback Mountain and Mount Marshall in Shenandoah National Park.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/6
Above each of these massive cliffs, hawks turned lazy circles in the afternoon sun, while below me others soared over a vast, green farming valley stretched out towards the blurry gray line of the Alleghenies in the misty distance.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/6
I spent a great deal of time at each spot, feeling lucky to be there on one of the rare relatively haze-free days this summer.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}