Andrea Junker
A
Have you ever wondered why Germans didn’t do anything about Hitler? Well, the rest of the world is wondering exactly that about Americans and Trump.
03:30 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Tony
A
In response to Andrea Junker.
There were powerful forces at work that wanted Hitler in power. Same same in US…
09:15 AM - Mar 04, 2024
Pamela
A
I find the “othering” chilling. Very dangerous.
It’s so much easier to disregard your neighbors being slaughtered when you don’t think of them as human.
01:08 AM - Mar 04, 2024
Don Rowe
A
I dislike comparisons where none of the relevant conditions align. Conditions in Weimar Germany bear no resemblance politically, socially, economically or demographically to 2024 US. Trump is a would-be authoritarian, certainly, but for now keep that emphasis on "would be."
09:51 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Barbara Edelman
A
in all fairness to germans, most of them did not elect hitler’s party. hitler took absolute power on the back of a democracy that was exhausted, impoverished & full of too many bad guys, both nazi & soviet-influenced communists.

president hindenberg probably figured giving hitler temporary
04:07 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Barbara Edelman.
emergency powers would be a good idea if “communists & jews burned down the reichstag.” (spoiler-the nazis burned down the reichstag.) by 1934, many non-jewish germans were terrified & rightly so. dachau prison camp came on line in mid 30s.

many germans were active in the resistance & many
04:11 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Char
A
In response to Barbara Edelman.
Barbara, you're right. The circumstances were what they needed to be, he was proposing viable solutions to the nightmare the country was living, it was meant to be temporary, and many didn't realize the danger in it.

That said, many aren't seeing the signs now. They're inviting what they fear.
04:12 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Andrea Ball
A
Spent my childhood wondering. Didn’t know much about history but as a Jewish child did know about the Holocaust. My grandma wouldn’t talk about “the old country.” I think too many white + some non- are complacent about anything that is not blowing their house down today . “It can’t happen here.”
03:59 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Michael Osborn
A
In response to Andrea Ball.
The more I learn about American history, the more I’m aware it mostly did happen here—just got ignored.
04:02 PM - Mar 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}