Andrea Junker
A
Have you ever wondered why Germans didn’t do anything about Hitler? Well, the rest of the world is wondering exactly that about Americans and Trump.
03:30 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Barbara Edelman
A
in all fairness to germans, most of them did not elect hitler’s party. hitler took absolute power on the back of a democracy that was exhausted, impoverished & full of too many bad guys, both nazi & soviet-influenced communists.

president hindenberg probably figured giving hitler temporary
In response to Andrea Junker.
04:07 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Char
A
In response to Barbara Edelman.
Barbara, you're right. The circumstances were what they needed to be, he was proposing viable solutions to the nightmare the country was living, it was meant to be temporary, and many didn't realize the danger in it.

That said, many aren't seeing the signs now. They're inviting what they fear.
04:12 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Char.
i suspect more germans were aware of the dangers, much more so than glazed eyed americans. germany had outstanding public education system & comparatively high university grads. they wrote letters, published articles, went on speaking tours & either fled or were murdered.
04:19 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Barbara Edelman
A
emergency powers would be a good idea if “communists & jews burned down the reichstag.” (spoiler-the nazis burned down the reichstag.) by 1934, many non-jewish germans were terrified & rightly so. dachau prison camp came on line in mid 30s.

many germans were active in the resistance & many
04:11 PM - Mar 03, 2024
Barbara Edelman
A
germans hid jews. those were the brave ones & often died horribly for their bravery. would you “do something” in trump usa? or would you keep your head down, pull your coat collar to face & hurry home?

i’ve been doing something for 6 years, mostly in gotv efforts. i’m not holding back trumpism.
04:15 PM - Mar 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}