Tom Jolly
A
thread 1/57
My friend, @shawn_mischief_klimek , a.k.a. Shawn Klimek, and I decided to do an experiment in writing collaboration, taking turns posting to a thread with entries that will, hopefully, end up reading like a book. The title is Stepping Stones. #SteppingStones #sciencefiction #spoutibleexperiment
10:18 PM - Dec 21, 2023 (Edited)
Tom Jolly
A
thread 2/57
Stepping Stones, Part 1

There are worlds cluttered with teleportation portals, like stepping stones, that allow people—and other things—to travel from world to world in the blink of an eye. Some use these to travel and explore. Some for other nefarious reasons…
10:21 PM - Dec 21, 2023
Tom Jolly
A
thread 3/57
“Is it a trap?” Marken asked, pointing to the black disk in the starship's closet.

“Of course not,” Mrel’s stolen head replied. “I don’t wish to die, and since we are together…”

“Yet I need to breathe. You don’t."

"So hold your breath."

Someone shouted. Marken cursed and jumped onto the disk.
10:22 PM - Dec 21, 2023
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 4/57
The light dimmed. Gravity shifted 90 degrees and Marken fell sideways, stretching out an arm to cushion his fall.

"You did this on purpose!" he accused.

“Aimed for the inside of a police evidence locker? No, I assure you," said Mrel's head. "I had no idea this disk had been confiscated."
02:30 AM - Dec 22, 2023 (Edited)
Tom Jolly
A
thread 5/57
Evidence locker or a storage cage? Marken examined the black portal disk. Why was it hanging on a wall? The portal was framed like abstract art. The center was the black portal, with painted curlicues in the corners.

"Help me get this face down," Marken said.

"Seriously?" Mrel said. "I'm a head."
08:25 PM - Dec 22, 2023
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 6/57
“And together, we’re a head taller,” said Marken, setting Mrel’s head down before stepping on it.

“The indignity!”

Now able to reach the frame, Marken yanked it from the wall, then lowered it, face down. “Hopefully, this will keep us from being followed."

“Hey, there's a tag on it," Mrel noted.
05:56 AM - Dec 23, 2023
Tom Jolly
A
thread 7/57
Marken read the tag. “It says ‘Lot 381.’ We’re in an auction house. How old are your files?”

“Surveying portals takes time,” Mrel said. “The police must be selling off confiscated property.”

“They don’t know what this is!”

A large Guntuk cried out, “Hey, you can’t be in there!” It shook the gate.
03:02 PM - Dec 23, 2023
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 8/57
Marken made a funny face. “I think what you mean is that *you* can’t be in here. Because of the locked gate.” He pointed helpfully.

The Guntuk seethed. “I’ll be right back with the key.”

“We’ll be here,” said Marken, stretching a toe toward the frame.

“And put down that head,” growled the Guntuk.
11:31 PM - Dec 26, 2023 (Edited)
Tom Jolly
A
thread 9/57
Marken rushed to the gate, digging a molecular cutter from his pocket, the same device he’d used to remove Mrel’s head. He cut through the lock. “Where’s another portal?”

“Why should I help you? You cut my head off.”

“I wonder what your body is doing now?” Marken mused, pushing through the gate.
04:42 PM - Dec 28, 2023
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 10/57
“In the basement, there’s a hallway near the auditorium that connects to the metro tube."

“See? We make good allies,” said Marken.

"I ping it occasionally, you know.” Mrel resumed. “It’s hibernating, the frozen limbs memorializing their final autonomic response to your theft: an obscene gesture."
09:53 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 11/57
Worlds away, a hovering sphere named Arg glared at the headless frame. “Why is it extending the universal symbol of disrespect?”

“It’s stuck,” Pros-5 mused. “We can track the one that did this using Mrel’s brain link.”

“We already have two Prosecutors chasing it. What if it closes a jump loop?"
03:05 PM - Jan 05, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 12/57
“You mean reorienting portals to short-circuit the network?”
The sphere nodded gravely.
Pros-5 considered. “Certain worlds would suffer if isolated from the galactic hub.”
“It’s worse than that. Isolation of the galactic hub from certain worlds…”
"Ah. Maybe I'll handle this one myself," said Pros-5.
10:30 AM - Jan 07, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 13/57
Marken found a bag and put Mrel’s head in it. He headed for the basement, getting odd looks from a few Guntuks, his tentacular hair squirming anxiously as though in a wind.

“You’re leading me to another trap, aren’t you?”

“Maybe.”

“I’m doing this for everyone, you know.”

“Really? Do tell."
02:39 PM - Jan 08, 2024 (Edited)
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 14/57
“What sort of damage do you suppose these portals do to the continuum?"

Mrel watched the ceiling flow behind his kidnapper's silhouette. “Almost none. Excess distortion is shunted into the Escher grid, for recycling. Worst case scenario, the galaxy spins a little faster.”

“You’re getting warm.”
06:02 AM - Jan 09, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 15/57
"Then tell me," Mrel said.

"Portal, Inc. makes more and more of these portals, and you know that each one contains a dozen primordial micro-black holes to create the gate."

"So?"

"Too many on one world and they reach a critical distortion. You remember Troy-5? All the dead-end gates?"

"A myth."
11:12 AM - Jan 11, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 16/57
Marken laughed scornfully. “A cover-up.”

“I keep the portal network maps in my data files, remember?” said Mrel’s head. “It shows the gates to Troy-5 as “under repair”.

“Check the planet’s current climate forecast. By now, it should be uninhabitable.”

“Can’t. No network service.”

“See?”
12:16 AM - Jan 13, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 17/57
“Here’s the Metro,” Marken said, waving his Galaxy Pass.

“Aren’t you worried that I’ll call for help once we’re on board?”

"As a surveyor, you know that Guntuks are going to sell you for parts rather than rescue you.”

“They eat their guilty, too, you know. No jails!"

Marken gulped, but boarded.
08:31 PM - Jan 15, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 18/57
With the bag containing Mrel’s head under one arm, Marken walked the length of the first car, looking for an available bench or berth. It was going to be a long ride, and the bag was uncomfortably heavy. Unfortunately, the car was packed to the vents. It was the same in the second car and the third.
12:36 AM - Jan 17, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 19/57
Ahead, two Guntuks entered, chatting. One of them held a scanner. Marken reversed directions. He noticed two lovers who had just finished a spat. Their backs were to each other, creating a gap between them. He immediately sat in the gap and lowered his head. Just in time.
01:08 AM - Jan 17, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 20/57
On Earth:

Ben Clay stepped onto the black disk that he’d carried from the park to his apartment. How could no one have discovered it before? Once again, he was surrounded by a half-dozen corpses on a lifeless ochre landscape. This time, however, he’d brought along a supply of breathing air.
12:58 AM - Jan 23, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 21/57
They'd stumbled onto the portal disk just as he had, but had passed out from lack of oxygen. Ben wanted to return the bodies to Earth, but frankly, with the disk in the middle of his apartment, there was no way he was going to drag the bodies there. He’d move the disk first. Maybe to a mortuary.
01:04 AM - Jan 23, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 22/57
Meanwhile, he hoped that the as-yet unsearched corpses might be carrying even more cash. These were the odd-looking, possibly alien bodies. It made sense to explore the obvious before venturing into the unknown. Approaching, he confirmed that they were humanoid but with unexpected features and hues.
09:12 AM - Jan 23, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 23/57
One of them had worms for hair. Another had large spots and tusks. They might be mutants or diseased. He belatedly wished he had brought gloves. At least he still had the plastic shopping bag he'd picked up at the pawn shop. Wearing it on one hand like a mitten, he decided to risk it.
10:12 PM - Jan 24, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 24/57
Worlds away:

Pros-5 held out the tracking cube taken from Mrel’s headless body. "That's the portal," it squeaked. From a pocket he withdrew a tiny robot designed to test and report on the safety of a portal jump. He tossed it onto the portal, but the robot failed to go through.

"Blocked, is it?"
09:17 PM - Jan 26, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 25/57
Pros-5 pulled a paper-thin explosive disk from another pocket, activated it, and slapped it down on the portal. It disappeared. A moment later, he tried the robot again. It passed through the portal and quickly returned with a green safety light. Pros-5 stepped through.

Two Guntuks raised guns.
09:26 PM - Jan 26, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 26/57
The pair had been having a weird day and were already on edge. After a thief had absconded from the auction vault carrying a talking mechanical head, they’d been ordered to inventory the collection for anything else missing. Weirdly, nothing was.
12:56 AM - Jan 27, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 27/57
Weirder still, the head had never been recorded as part of the collection. Next, the framed artwork left facedown by the thieves had startled them by burping and doing a backflip. Finally, a dour-faced stranger holding a cube had stepped out of the artwork as though it were a doorway.
01:21 AM - Jan 28, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 28/57
Pros-5 sneered at the Guntuks, though they couldn’t see that through his face armor. The Guntuks had limbs like giant slugs that crawled around their bodies as needed, communicating with their host through thousands of neurochemical feelers. Pros-5 found them disgusting.

"Lower your weapons."
09:00 PM - Jan 30, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 29/57
"Who are you?"

“I am Prosecutor 5.”

“Five?” The Guntuks' eyes widened. Of the millions of prosecutors, number 5 was here? On Guntuk? They lowered their guns, not wishing to die.

“Where did the being with the spare head go?”

“Not sure.”

“Useless." Pros-5 pushed past them, eyes on the tracker.
09:05 PM - Jan 30, 2024 (Edited)
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 30/57
As the disgruntled female began to gather her belongings, her counterpart craned his neck to identify a commotion behind them. A herd of drunken sports fans boarding were outshouting each other about some arena game just concluded.
12:05 AM - Feb 01, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 31/57
Staying low, Marken threw his voice, mocking the team identified by logos on their clothing. One of them responded by hurling a liquor bottle, which smashed against a Guntuk. As both Guntuks charged the herd, Marken slipped out the exit to their rear.
12:06 AM - Feb 01, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 32/57
As the compartment door closed behind him, he heard someone exclaim, "What a fliggit's anus!"
"Who is?"
"I didn't say anything," said Mrel's head.
"Not you. I meant my ex-boyfriend," said the female with a shopping bag who had followed them out.
12:11 AM - Feb 01, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 33/57
A talking bag? Levia stared. The alien—she didn’t recognize the species—was holding it loosely. She dosed herself for speed with her implant, lunged for the bag, swept it from the alien’s grasp, and ran. She could sell it to her fence with the rest of today’s booty.

The alien cursed, pursuing.
12:23 AM - Feb 04, 2024 (Edited)
Tom Jolly
A
thread 34/57
Near Earth:

Ben examined the alien. There were quite a few portals within a hundred yards of the Earth portal. This portal had three bodies next to it, and none of them were human. One had what looked like four giant slugs attached to its corpse.

Well, this disk might go to a world with oxygen.
12:27 AM - Feb 04, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 35/57
It was an insane risk, but then, his life was his own. He had no job or family to lose, and the best thing that had ever happened to him (the cheerleader who had kissed him back) had happened because he’d taken such a risk. He tightened his scuba mask and then stepped onto the disk.
07:09 AM - Feb 06, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 36/57
And arrived in a rotunda, surrounded by more columns than the Parthenon. On each of the columns was a door marked with glowing symbols written in a strange language. Turning slowly, he scanned for any sign that he wasn’t alone, ready to hop back the way he had come.
07:13 AM - Feb 06, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 37/57
Marken cursed as he saw the girl run toward the Crypt of Columns. It was a good way to die. Each column bore the etched names of the dead that had ventured through one of the forbidden portals, the ones that had “gone bad." The deadly disks lay scattered around the columns like a grotesque artwork.
11:22 PM - Feb 09, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 38/57
The lighting was dim, the area deserted. The girl, running blindly, glanced over her shoulder, then hit one of the portals and disappeared, along with Mrel's head. Marken moaned. But what was this? There was another idiot standing amongst the columns and portal. It looked like—could it be—a human?
11:28 PM - Feb 09, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 39/57
The face was strangely—ah, it was wearing a mask! A translucent shield over both eyes and a tube connecting its mouth to a canister worn on its back. The human had brought its own air! That explained how it could have arrived via the disk hidden at the bottom of Earth’s deepest ocean.
02:42 AM - Feb 12, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 40/57
But then, why wasn’t he wet? Could there be more than one disk connecting such a remote planet? Marken would have loved to have interrogated the human, but was fairly sure none spoke Galactic common. They’d yet to send an emissary to the citizenship council, much less apply for cognitive attunement.
02:49 AM - Feb 12, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 41/57
Anyway, he was already gone. He had seen Marken approaching and teleported away, by stomping his foot on the nearest disk. An idea occurred to Marken. He approached the spot where the human had stood and then stooped to collect the disk.
08:17 PM - Feb 12, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 42/57
Elsewhere;
Levia gasped at the sudden change to weightlessness, thinking that she'd stumbled into a vacuum. But then she took a breath, and another, and looked around. She saw glowing pastel clouds, slender things flying in the air, drifting spherical shrubs, and translucent blobs of...something?
04:04 PM - Feb 16, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 43/57
"You got lucky," Mrel said from the bag. "You could have died, stepping randomly into one of the restricted portals. You're in a living nebula. I recognize it. Hope you have some way to get back to the portal."

Levia twisted around. Behind her, the portal was drifting slowly away. "Crap!" she said.
04:34 PM - Feb 16, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 44/57
Hastily attaching the bag to her belt, she tried flapping her limbs to swim back to the portal but only succeeded in churning the air. The nebulous flotsam surrounding her danced.
She pondered the problem and then came to a decision.
10:59 PM - Feb 19, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 45/57
into the bag, she withdrew Mrel’s head, and then after glancing backwards to check her aim, prepared to hurl it directly away from the portal.
“Bad idea,” remarked the head.
Levia smirked. “I’d much rather sell you.
11:01 PM - Feb 19, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 46/57
But you’re the only object I’ve got with enough mass to counter-propel me to the portal.”
“It won’t work.”
Levia snorted. “You’re thinking of air resistance! But I can juice myself for extra strength.”
“Stop! Don’t you see it?”
11:02 PM - Feb 19, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 47/57
Some instinct told Levia the loot was being truthful. Huffing impatiently, she relaxed her arm and paused to study her surroundings more carefully.
“You mean the air currents,” she said at last. “Everything’s flowing in wide circles.”
“Yes, but orbiting what?”
“Orbiting…?
11:03 PM - Feb 19, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 48/57
Orbiting…?” She stared longer into the central mist. There was something fuzzy and pulsing at its core. “What is that?”
“That, madam, is the nebular nucleus. Both the brain and the stomach, and if we simply wait long enough, we’ll be swallowed.”
“And be digested? That’s no plan!
11:05 PM - Feb 19, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 49/57
"Indigestible objects such as myself, or like you, if you are smart enough not to let go of me, have a good chance of being spat out through one of the portals in its belly."
08:45 PM - Feb 21, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 50/57
“Portals in its belly? Who knows where those go?”

“I have a good idea,” Mrel said. “Though it’d take a long time to drift there. And you still have no way to propel yourself.”

“And I’d starve.”

“No. Those blobs you see drifting around are edible, though tasteless. The sky sharks like them."
10:55 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 51/57
At that moment, Marken appeared at the mouth of portal at which they’d just arrived, some ten meters away. He’d tucked three rolled-up portals under one arm.

“Risky move, Marken,” said Mrel.

“True. But anyone pursuing us will be reluctant to follow us into a high-risk portal," Marken said.
10:58 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 52/57
"And I think that one of these portals I’m carrying might have a path to the human planet in it."

“What’s a human?” Levia asked.

“A creature from a proscribed world.” Marken said. “And who are you, anyway? Are you one of the Prosecutor units?"

"Unlikely," Mrel said, "since you're still alive."
11:03 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 53/57
“Ha!” said Marken.
Levia hoisted the head in salute. “The name’s Levia. I’m a junk collector.”
“I’m Marken,” he said, pointing to himself. Then, after adjusting his own burden, added, “And I’m going to need my junk back.”
“Junk, indeed,” Mrel’s head fumed. “I’m clearly valuable to thieves!”
01:33 AM - Mar 04, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 54/57
“You both need to escape this living nebula. I can help you do that. We can help each other.”
“I guess that’s fair,” said Levia.
“Beware,” Mrel warned. “Even if you are gullible enough to trust this scoundrel, you’d be aiding and abetting a fugitive, so that prosecutors will start hunting you, too!
01:40 AM - Mar 04, 2024
Shawn Mischief Klimek
A
thread 55/57
“Sounds exciting,” said Levia, with a mischievous grin.
“If the valuable junk will show us the way to Earth, I have a plan to evade the prosecutors for good,” said Mrel.”
“Oh, do tell!”
“It’s better if I show you,” he said, withdrawing a cable from his tool pocket before latching it to his belt.
01:44 AM - Mar 04, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 56/57
Elsewhere: Ben Clay shook, sucking in deep breaths from his air tank. What was that he saw? He moved away from the portal and the bodies in the sand, and watched. Would that man with the squirmy hair follow him? Would he die from lack of oxygen? Should he save him?

Ben waited, but no one appeared.
06:57 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Tom Jolly
A
thread 57/57
Ben considered what he'd seen: the weird columns, the many black portals, the strange man, the odd looking girl. Wasn't that what he wanted, to explore a new planet? Just the presence of the portals leading to Earth implied that aliens had visited. He stepped back onto the portal. Nothing happened.
07:00 PM - Mar 12, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}