Mary Locker
A
#DailyPictureTheme #stage
A wooded park in Royal Oak served as the stage for our production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" 25 years ago.
03:44 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Billsabum
A
In response to Mary Locker.
Very cool! Reminds me of Michigan Shakespeare Festival’s early days. First held in 1995 as an outdoors event at Ella Sharp Park in Jackson MI. In 1996, when my wife was the Festival’s lead costumer, a replica of The Globe was built on the park grounds. Now indoors: good but not the same experience.
08:09 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Mary Locker
A
In response to Billsabum.
Love that group. I was the landlady in an early "Taming of the Shrew" at the Jackson Festival. Our Kate from that production is now the Artistic Director. The photo I posted is from the inaugural season of Shakespeare Royal Oak at Starr Jaycee Park. It's still going strong, too. Michigan loves Will.
08:58 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Billsabum
A
I believe the “Taming of the Shrew” you were in was probably the 1997 season with John Neville-Andrews directing for the first time. I saw it (and Much Ado About Nothing that same season). Enjoyed both immensely!
In response to Mary Locker.
09:58 PM - Mar 13, 2024
Mary Locker
A
In response to Billsabum.
That's correct. In 1999, I directed Much Ado in Ann Arbor for Shadow Theater, and my Beatrice and Benedick were Jan Waldron (now Blixt) and David Blixt who were Kate and Petruchio in Jackson. They are fantastic actors. Jan was the perfect choice to take the AD spot when John Neville-Andrews left.
11:56 PM - Mar 13, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}