Katie Kadwell
A
thread 1/12
The other day @BMWillz asked about people’s experiences with ADHD. I was just recently diagnosed - about a couple months ago - at 54 years old, although I’ve suspected I have it for years. Our 13 year old definitely has it, and they and I share a lot of traits. I’ll start with some of the traits…
05:39 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 2/12
1. I lose certain things constantly: Reading glasses, lip balm, hats, etc.. I use a wallet with a chain and carabiner for my keys and I put them in the same hook everyday, otherwise I’d be constantly losing my keys.

2. I get overwhelmed even with projects I’m excited about. Executive functioning 🧐
05:47 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 3/12
3. When we moved into our new house after my husband passed, I couldn’t remember where I put anything even though I was the one who organized the kitchen. Of course grief was part of that, but even when I’ve lived alone I’ve put things places I don’t remember.
05:49 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 4/12
4. I never wanted to take meds; I’m naturally suspicious of big pharma and have smoked weed for decades, and along with meditation and therapy that made a difference. But I knew I could function better than I was, and as the grief became less acute I wanted to have better executive functioning.
05:53 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 5/12
So that brings me to now. I decided to find a therapist, and picked one who works on productivity, anxiety, and getting more organized. In the first or second session she asked me if I would be up for trying medication for anxiety, and doing an evaluation for ADHD. I said yes.
05:55 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 6/12
I’m done bearing children, so the possibility long term side effects don’t worry me as much, and I just decided I needed to try something different to really get where I want to be. So she evaluated me and diagnosed ADHD. She referred me to a psychiatrist who prescribed Sertraline for anxiety.
05:57 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 7/12
After about a month of that and the anxiety was resolving, he asked about ADHD medication and I said yes to giving it a try. He put me on extended release Methylphenidate (generic Ritalin). After about three days I could sense a big difference.
06:00 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 8/12
I didn’t have the same sense of overwhelm when approaching a project. I felt like I could break down the steps in my head better, and think of the order of operations. I have more energy at the end of the day, both mental and physical, and I worry less about potential problems or drama.
06:01 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 9/12
The past couple days I’ve started feeling like I’m finally becoming who I’ve wanted to be for a long time, if that makes sense. I’m feeling more “me”. Anyway, I’m sure people have lots of different experiences but that’s my story. 💗
06:03 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 10/12
Adding that I mostly switched from vaping 20-30% THC to a 20:1 CBD / THC cartridge, except for weekends. The high CBD helps me sleep, and I found out the hard way the other night that the Methylphenidate combined with high THC gets me really wired and keeps me awake.
06:53 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 11/12
This is apparently a common reaction to combining those two things. When I first started with the psychiatrist he asked me if the weed helps me sleep. I said I didn’t know because I’d been having it every night for so long I had no idea. Then I tried going a night without it and it didn’t work.
06:55 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 12/12
The high CBD does help me sleep but doesn’t get me high.
06:55 PM - Mar 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}