Katie Kadwell
A
thread 1/12
The other day @BMWillz asked about people’s experiences with ADHD. I was just recently diagnosed - about a couple months ago - at 54 years old, although I’ve suspected I have it for years. Our 13 year old definitely has it, and they and I share a lot of traits. I’ll start with some of the traits…
05:39 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 2/12
1. I lose certain things constantly: Reading glasses, lip balm, hats, etc.. I use a wallet with a chain and carabiner for my keys and I put them in the same hook everyday, otherwise I’d be constantly losing my keys.

2. I get overwhelmed even with projects I’m excited about. Executive functioning 🧐
05:47 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 3/12
3. When we moved into our new house after my husband passed, I couldn’t remember where I put anything even though I was the one who organized the kitchen. Of course grief was part of that, but even when I’ve lived alone I’ve put things places I don’t remember.
05:49 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 4/12
4. I never wanted to take meds; I’m naturally suspicious of big pharma and have smoked weed for decades, and along with meditation and therapy that made a difference. But I knew I could function better than I was, and as the grief became less acute I wanted to have better executive functioning.
05:53 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 5/12
So that brings me to now. I decided to find a therapist, and picked one who works on productivity, anxiety, and getting more organized. In the first or second session she asked me if I would be up for trying medication for anxiety, and doing an evaluation for ADHD. I said yes.
05:55 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 6/12
I’m done bearing children, so the possibility long term side effects don’t worry me as much, and I just decided I needed to try something different to really get where I want to be. So she evaluated me and diagnosed ADHD. She referred me to a psychiatrist who prescribed Sertraline for anxiety.
05:57 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 7/12
After about a month of that and the anxiety was resolving, he asked about ADHD medication and I said yes to giving it a try. He put me on extended release Methylphenidate (generic Ritalin). After about three days I could sense a big difference.
06:00 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 8/12
I didn’t have the same sense of overwhelm when approaching a project. I felt like I could break down the steps in my head better, and think of the order of operations. I have more energy at the end of the day, both mental and physical, and I worry less about potential problems or drama.
06:01 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 9/12
The past couple days I’ve started feeling like I’m finally becoming who I’ve wanted to be for a long time, if that makes sense. I’m feeling more “me”. Anyway, I’m sure people have lots of different experiences but that’s my story. 💗
06:03 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 10/12
Adding that I mostly switched from vaping 20-30% THC to a 20:1 CBD / THC cartridge, except for weekends. The high CBD helps me sleep, and I found out the hard way the other night that the Methylphenidate combined with high THC gets me really wired and keeps me awake.
06:53 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 11/12
This is apparently a common reaction to combining those two things. When I first started with the psychiatrist he asked me if the weed helps me sleep. I said I didn’t know because I’d been having it every night for so long I had no idea. Then I tried going a night without it and it didn’t work.
06:55 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 12/12
The high CBD does help me sleep but doesn’t get me high.
06:55 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Lydia
A
In response to Katie Kadwell.
Thanks for sharing, Katie.

My son was diagnosed in the early days of ADD recognition (they hadn’t defined the “hyper” element of it quite yet). He was on Adderall for 20+ years and it spiraled way out of control. He went through hell getting off that stuff. I’m glad you’re watching things closely!
06:27 PM - Mar 14, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
In response to Lydia.
Thank you for sharing your experience too! That’s really good information. I hope your son is doing well now. ♥️
07:19 PM - Mar 14, 2024
King Lavender-licous
A
In response to Katie Kadwell.
Thank you for sharing! I waited patiently for this! 💛 💜 🖤
06:05 PM - Mar 14, 2024 (Edited)
Katie Kadwell
A
In response to King Lavender-licous.
Part of me wondered if you would even remember LOL. You were very patient! 🩵💗♥️
06:17 PM - Mar 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}