Michael Raz
A
thread 1/7
Freedom. I had a discussion about what Freedom does (and does not) mean in the most unexpected location yesterday – while getting my hair cut.
08:20 PM - Mar 17, 2024
Michael Raz
A
thread 2/7
The general banter led to a brief mention of some of my Military career at which point she thanks all of us (Canadians and other countries) who risked our lives trying to help out her home country. 25 years ago, she and her family escaped Kosovo as refugees, leaving everything behind.
Michael Raz
A
thread 3/7
She described how dangerous and restrictive everything was – her school had been closed for two years. Upon coming to Canada, she got her first job in a factory while knowing only a few words of English. The Owner gave her a chance and she remained friends with her for many years.
Michael Raz
A
thread 4/7
She talked about how much she missed her home but how proud she was of what she has done in Canada and how many people did so much to help. Our discussion then went around to how so few people nowadays really understand what Freedom is and, more importantly, what it is not.
Michael Raz
A
thread 5/7
She then told me how she best describes the difference. “Here we get to put on out pajamas in the evening, crawl into bed and have a peaceful night’s sleep.
Michael Raz
A
thread 6/7
In Kosovo, 25 years ago, you went to bed with boots and clothes on, and a coat next to you since you never knew when you would have to leave”.
Michael Raz
A
thread 7/7
This is why I get so angry when someone, generally who is spoiled rotten and has never had to pay any price for freedom, tells me that it is being taken away from them because they are told to wear a mask in a crowded theatre during a pandemic.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}