⚛️Shawn Athan
A
Imma slightly disagree with this. The American flag has become a symbol of right wing Christian nationalism to some and it has become quite off putting. I can see why some would not like Bey holding an American flag. I was taken aback myself.
07:38 AM - Mar 21, 2024
BLS Is tired of the BS
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
After 2016 and Chump, I stopped displaying the flag. Last year I decided that it was time to display it again, just to show my bigot neighbors that I am not going to let them control what I choose to do.

As a veteran, I deserve to be able to honor the flag, even if there are flaws in our system.
08:59 AM - Mar 21, 2024
Cyndi Brown she/her
A
In response to BLS Is tired of the BS.
I finally put mine up last year. Wind storm blew it out of the bracket on the house. Now waiting for the Memorial Day Fire Watch ceremony, because it was on the ground.
09:45 AM - Mar 21, 2024
Angela
A
In response to BLS Is tired of the BS.
My grandpa who served for 4 years in WWII proudly raised the flag every day and while I have complicated feelings about what the flag represents I've never questioned my respect for those who serve so I keep any negative feelings I have about the flag to myself. Thank you for your service.
10:13 AM - Mar 21, 2024
Shawna
A
As per usual, Black Americans and Black people in America must fight to claim our place and hold on to it. And once we lose ground…reclamation is hard. But god is it worth it. This time though, we have to own it. Not in a nationalist xenophobic way, but as a statement that we built this shit.
08:48 AM - Mar 21, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Shawna.
We don't have to claim the flag. We can create a new one. Imma stand on that. That flag in no way represents who we are as a nation anymore imo. White in the flag means "purity and innocence". If that ain't a dog whistle... I don't know what is. Also... its a lie.
08:55 AM - Mar 21, 2024 (Edited)
Timara (she/her)
A
Agreed. Any houses or cars that proudly display it around here are not seen as safe for me.
08:04 AM - Mar 21, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Timara (she/her).
Exactly
08:05 AM - Mar 21, 2024
Loren Hansen
A
You're right about how that symbol is being stolen by bigots. But that is why I love taking it back.
07:44 AM - Mar 21, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Loren Hansen.
Nah... I want a new flag.
07:45 AM - Mar 21, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}