⚛️Shawn Athan
A
Imma slightly disagree with this. The American flag has become a symbol of right wing Christian nationalism to some and it has become quite off putting. I can see why some would not like Bey holding an American flag. I was taken aback myself.
07:38 AM - Mar 21, 2024
Shawna
A
As per usual, Black Americans and Black people in America must fight to claim our place and hold on to it. And once we lose ground…reclamation is hard. But god is it worth it. This time though, we have to own it. Not in a nationalist xenophobic way, but as a statement that we built this shit.
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
08:48 AM - Mar 21, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Shawna.
We don't have to claim the flag. We can create a new one. Imma stand on that. That flag in no way represents who we are as a nation anymore imo. White in the flag means "purity and innocence". If that ain't a dog whistle... I don't know what is. Also... its a lie.
08:55 AM - Mar 21, 2024 (Edited)
Shawna
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Fair point. For me reclaiming can and does include redefining. Which we do all the time to language. But there is merit in something new. Getting most people to agree on what that is however is a whole other issue.
08:35 AM - Mar 22, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}